In which doubt meets it’s match…

by Craig on December 10, 2010

The story of the apostle Thomas continues. Part one is here.

The link below takes you to a clip from the movie on the right. It is over 30 years old and I think it’s the best Gospel movie ever made. It was a T.V. miniseries. Think about that – a blockbuster T.V. Miniseries – on every night for a week – with a cast of stars.

That time has sadly passed. The networks don’t give God Prime Time anymore. And they seemingly try to avoid the positive use of the “J” word at all costs.

I couldn’t place the video within this post for licensing reasons. So I’ll have to send you to You tube – then please come back.

The whole thing is 8 minutes but the important section for our purposes ends with a black screen at the 4:55 mark. You can watch after that but it doesn’t apply to today’s post.

And a kind of cool thing is that it is subtitled in Greek. I heart that.

The background Bible verses for the story are in three Gospels (Mark 5:21–43, Matthew 9:18–26, Luke 8:40–56). It’s the story of the bringing back to life of the daughter of Jairus. Here’s the link:

a miracle, a party, an invitation

There is actually some early church tradition that backs this story up. The truth is, we aren’t sure if this is where Our Lord met Thomas. I am old enough to have seen this on T.V. But years later as a new Christian I saw it again and this scene was forever etched in my brain. This is when I said – yup – that’s my guy.

Hope you enjoyed. Please let me know if you saw any of you in Thomas. That would be fun for me to read. I am so glad that I can tell you that at the end of the road of doubt, if you just stay with it, lies a faith that just won’t let go.

I used to see so much of myself in Thomas, and he’s still my favorite apostle. But thankfully my faith has grown to the point that the intense questioning part of him, I don’t share anymore. My multitude of questions have all been answered. I think that the later Thomas had little in common with the earlier one – the one with all the questions – because he got all his answers too.

Take heart if you have doubts. It only took me a couple of decades to get through all of mine.

But then, I had a LOT of questions – and I didn’t always listen to the answers the first time around – or the second…

God Bless

Debbie December 10, 2010 at 1:04 am

I feel kind of silly. . .Craig, I am so simple that I didn’t doubt much that I can remember . . .didn’t question much. And somehow I feel less “real” because that wasn’t how I was or am. . .eeek! Thank you for always helping us!

Craig December 10, 2010 at 1:11 am

Nope deb. To have a faith that didn’t have to go through the wringer to get where it is – that’s the easier way. It’s a very blessed way. In the end it’s the simple faith that gets us to heaven. The faith of a child – not meaning immature – but meaning – I just believe darnit – and sure I have these reasons – but bottom line is I believe. God hearts that. God hearts that a lot. Struggling faith – or faith that never struggled – in the end – both are faith. Both are real.

Anonymuss December 10, 2010 at 2:47 am

Craig, I don’t think I so much remember doubting much that God was real (Jesus, the Holy Spirit). Rather, I had a very difficult time experiencing them as other than distant…removed from the close, intimate dailiness of me and my life. Though I have seen and experienced some truly wonderful things, over the years, that could only have been from God, I still at times struggle with feeling His nearness. What I can doubt sometimes is that He has good outcomes available for me in certain situations-a future and a hope in these circumstances. I don’t tend to doubt in my head-my thinker, but I sometimes do in my heart-my feeler. I am very interested to continue see what you share in this exploration of doubt.

bill (cycleguy) December 10, 2010 at 4:41 am

Craig: like many people I used to be harsh on Thomas. You know…doubting Thomas. How could he when he was there and heard & saw Jesus for 3 years? But then he had his heart broken. Then someone opened my eyes by asking a very simple but probing question: “what if, instead of seeing Thomas as a doubter we saw him as an historian? As someone who wanted the facts before he would believe? Alexander Campbell once wrote, “Faith is belief in testimony.” Perhaps Thomas was unconvinced by the mere words of others and before he would make any decision he wanted to see the facts (Jesus was alive). Now…all the other disciples were hunkered down because of fear and it took this appearance of Jesus to convince them. Thomas was just not going to take anyone’s word for it. He wanted to see for himself. Changed my whole perspective on Thomas. I admire him instead of castigate him. Just another thought.

Craig December 10, 2010 at 9:24 am

This I found made God more present, more real to me

Proverbs 3:5-8 “Trust in the LORD with all your heart, on your own intelligence rely not; In all your ways be mindful of him, and he will make straight your paths. Be not wise in your own eyes, fear the LORD and turn away from evil; This will mean health for your flesh and vigor for your bones.

For me it’s been the ongoing – being “with” God, recounting all those touches of him in my past, chit chatting with him like a friend all day long – like you know, some friends are distant and some are near? I won’t quote the “draw near to God” verse ’cause it’s taken out of context too much for times like this (and cause it’s coming up in James in 3 more chapters – probably a year from now :) ) But the more time I spend pulling him into every little detail of my life – the more he becomes present. His nearness isn’t about him – it’s about me. Make sense?

Craig December 10, 2010 at 9:28 am

Bill,

Absolutely. He was a thinker, he liked facts. That’s coming up in the next few days as I wrap up with Thomas – the Big moment of doubt meeting faith. You and I are in the same place on this one brother. You, me, and Wile. E. Coyote – members of the ACME “super genius” club. No? :)

bill (cycleguy) December 13, 2010 at 6:34 am

I don’t know if I would consider myself part of any genius club. :)