In which is is good to give thanks

by Craig on February 14, 2011

Normally my thank you list resides on the twin site. But today is February 14th and St. Valentine will have his day – and he’s hogging all the real estate over there. So tomorrow I tackle the mystery of what James calls “the perfect law of freedom”, but today, I join with Ann Voskamp and a host of others and count my blessings, one. by. one…

#73 … for the unexpected, uninvited, didn’t see that coming, compliment. The one that affirmed and encouraged. It shot straight through my heart and exited in a tear.

#74 … that as this moment passes to the next, and is no more, and as the clock continues to tick, I know that time will never run out – because where time ends – eternity is.

#75 … that everything I see around me is real, but only part of reality.

#76 … that the frame of the window I press against has molecules which are moving, swimming, dancing, attracting, repelling. The molecules exchange with the ones in my hand, and yet both retain their shape. Literally, some of me rubs off on the frame, and some of it on me, and I don’t become the frame, and it remains as it is. Isn’t that a miracle?

#77 … that this may be what Our Lord meant when he said that if the crowds were silenced as he entered Jerusalem that “the stones will cry out.” Maybe what we see as inanimate objects, continually sing and dance in praise of their creator.

#78 … that Our Lord allows the severe, and hurtful, and painful, to invade our lives – yet always keeps his hand on the situations – and us.

#79 … that in allowing evil to remain – for a time – Our Lord allows for freedom – freedom to choose to follow light or darkness. The bitter of this life is difficult to swallow. But I am thankful that He cups His hands around this broken world until He puts evil in its place – forever.

#80 … for the Kingdom of God which is to come, that was in our midst when He walked this earth as human, yet God – and – is – right now – present in this moment, in my life.

#81 … that if I look into the mirror, not the one in this room, but the one that is Our Creator, I won’t see a “me” that isn’t good enough, or is a failure, or shouldn’t try. But that Our Lord will call me worthy, and will work even failure to the good, and call me out on the tree limb – because that’s where all the good fruit is at.

#82 … that Laska the love kitty finds such glee in chasing a ping pong ball all over the house. And that every time I hear the bounce of the ping pong ball, wherever it may be, it makes me smile.

#83 … that I have this magic filled book by Ann, brimming with words that will drip off the pages and penetrate deep into my soul.

#84 … that the love of God circles from heaven, like a needle and thread, through my heart, and back again through nail pierced hands – creating this moment of Grace in which I live and move and have my being.

God Bless

Beth Stone February 14, 2011 at 9:19 am

I am looking forward to that day when evil is put in its place…. this is a great list – I also smiled about the ping pong ball sounds. I always smile when I hear a little “squeak squeak” from one of my dog’s toys…. Thanks for sharing – happy Valentine’s Day!

Craig February 14, 2011 at 12:53 pm

I’ll make sure to relay the sentiment to Laska the love Kitty – all except for the “d” word – makes him cranky. God Bless you – thank you for reading.

eleanor February 14, 2011 at 9:59 am

I’m honoured you visited me at redeemed days and took time to comment. You are swim deep seas here. Thank you for opening the wonder of God’s depths in your list! May He at the centre always be the meaning and wonder of the reality seen and unseen!

Craig February 14, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Thank you Eleanor. Thank you for reading and the kind words. I thank Ann for making me slow down, look, ponder, and find the wonder. God Bless.

Erin @ Wild Whispers February 14, 2011 at 11:49 am

This cut me to the quick and gave me chills this morning. Such elegant words. Thank you.

Craig February 14, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Thank you Erin. I thank Ann for bringing this out in me – and God – well for being God – and you for reading – and kind words. God Bless and Keep.

Heather February 14, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Beautiful list. I love your last one. Oh the love that binds me to Jesus. It surely is a beautiful place to dwell!

Craig February 14, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Thank you Heather – thank you. And we are all bound with that ame thread – that last one should really be “us” – not “me” – thank you again – God Bless.

Michelle February 14, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Thank you for visiting from Ann’s! And thank you for praying for my dear baby…yet another gift…”13. a stranger praying for my unborn child…” When I read #82 I couldn’t help but think what I have all day…this really does work…the transformation. Those simple things that were so easy to ignore could bring so much joy now AND stand out more than the discontentment! Loved your list!

Craig February 14, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Michelle – I’m glad to be number 13 – not at all worried by that number :)

It is true – Ann’s listing makes us slow down and see what’s right in front of us. I could see it in your list too. God Bless and Keep. And thank you.

Cindy February 14, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Hi Craig, it was nice to get a visit from you over at my place…(smiling)…we have a love kitty too (+ the d word pets). Our Figgy would love to join in a merry chase of ping pong balls I am sure! I liked your numbers 78 and 79 especially, as these thoughts are sometimes hard for survivors of deep trauma to remember. It is good that I can direct them to places like yours and Ann’s to find that healing balm for their souls!

(PS – I used to believe the world’s superstition about the number 13, till one day when our Lord caused me to think of the 12 apostles representing His body (the church, including me and you!) and if you consider Him as the head (as is clear in Scripture), one arrives at the number 13…oh my! Number 13 is beautiful to me now – a picture of the completeness that comes when His body is in perfect submission to the Head!)

Craig February 14, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Such thinking on the number 13 – good to know I’m not the only one who thinks about these things. I will joyfully reconsider my issues with number 13 now. But not the “d” word – out of respect to Laska the love kittty.

Thank you so much for reading. God bless.

Nancy February 14, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Hi Craig,
Thanks for stopping by from Ann’s today and sharing a glimpse of an inside family joke. Much thoughtfulness, depth, and richness here in your list. Happy counting! Blessings.

Craig February 14, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Nancy. Shhhhhhhh., Let’s just keep that inside family joke between ourselves shall we?

Thank you so much for reading me. All the richness and depth? God gets all the credit for that – ALL OF IT – because he’s so rich and depth-y. You keep counting too. Loved your list. God bless.

Janis@Open My Ears Lord February 14, 2011 at 11:20 pm

Deep thoughts! Like the gratitude for Ann’s book. Looking forward to having my own copy. I think my order got lost someplace.
Thank you for visiting.

Blessings,
Janis

Craig February 14, 2011 at 11:24 pm

Janis – thank you for reading. If it helps – I pre-ordered my book about 150 years ago. It just arrived last week. So yours can’t be too far behind. God Bless.

Debbie February 15, 2011 at 1:52 am

Thank you for sharing all those special joys and wonders with us. It makes me so happy to think of how He is transforming your life and world. . . one blog post at a time! :)
God bless you and the words He gives you!

Craig February 15, 2011 at 9:40 am

Thank you Deb, you know now, that it’s a daily fight, inner and out. On the list next time will be people like you – friends who encourage and come alongside. God Bless.

Anonymuss February 15, 2011 at 11:30 am

Craig, as a car wash removes the grime and grit from my car’s surface, your writing has a way of removing the grime and grit from my heart. It allows my heart to reemerge from life’s trials with a renewed lightness to its step. I know only Jesus can truly cleanse our hearts…and it is Him that I see and experience in your writings. Thank you!

Craig February 15, 2011 at 11:34 am

A. I hear discouragement from within all the time – ALL THE TIME. Your words are a blessing. And it’s all HIM – I just write about him – I just get out of the way. God Bless.