In which there are thank you’s #85-95

by Craig on February 21, 2011

Why does God always deserve praise? I asked him once. I got an answer – and it’s so simple.

When someone does something good it’s deserving of praise. No?

If someone always and everywhere does all and only good,

then how often does that someone deserve praise?

Simple huh?  And just like with praise, it is with thanksgiving. Always and everywhere.

And so I join Ann Voskamp and many others in giving thanks today…

I am grateful…

#85. …that even though I always want to know more of that which I should not, and don’t focus hard enough of that which I should, repeating ad infinitum the sin of the Garden, you forgive.

#86. …that this very second, in which I exist, is swirling with invisible magic and is bound together by Your very essence. Without which, time would disintegrate and all of us along with it.

#87. …that because You live, I live, we live. That in You I live and move and have my being.

#88. …that of the two types of hunger in me, this one is the weaker. It’s the side that hungers for what this world has to offer, the tangible, the visible. But this world’s system is set up so that I can never reach what I want. The brass ring is always just inches away, a tantalizing mirage that once reached, isn’t enough. If I have nothing, I want something. If I get that I want more. If I get that I want better. A system so clearly not of You.

#89. …that this other, better, higher hunger burns as strong as it did, when it was white hot – when I was first found by You. The hunger for the intangible, the invisible, the immortal. This hunger, that when sated, wants more, but can have endless bounties upon which to feast. My reach exceeds my grasp – but not because the ring is too far away, but because there isn’t enough time to discover it all in this life.

#90. …but one day there will be no more time, and more than enough time.

#91. …that I have this desire to live forever.

#92. …and that you make that possible.

#93. …that you teach me how to have “joy” in sadness, grateful that you give me:

perfect joy,

beyond the moment of circumstance joy

the knowledge and feeling that You, the only God, are in control – kind of  joy

And the awareness that You, the only God, care about my cares – kind of joy

not happy happy bluebirds singing joy

but definitely bigger than the universe joy

#94. …for all of these magnificent thank you lists I get to read each week. I heart this gratitude community of Ann’s. The more I read, the more grateful I get.

#95. …for choices that we get to make, only because God didn’t create robots, but children.

That I can choose to focus

on this or that not happening,

or that I don’t have this or that,

or I lost this,

or I lost that.

Or I can focus on your whispers, in and through and around me

and the power of your presence in the now.

God Bless

Michelle February 21, 2011 at 3:23 am

“not happy happy bluebirds singing joy
but definitely bigger than the universe joy”

I like that.

Craig February 21, 2011 at 8:40 am

It took me so long to figure that one out – the whole Christian joy thing. It’s that way whenever the world has the same term as our faith – we get confused with the meaning. Not anymore though. God bless you Michelle – and thank you.

Dianna McBride February 21, 2011 at 7:22 am

#95 – “for choices that we get to make, only because God didn’t create robots, but children”…..

This really speaks to me, Craig, because I’m still learning the last part of it…He created children. The place and time in which I met Jesus tended to focus on the likeness of Christians, but not because of the character of God. Rather it was more about how we looked on the outside…and I have been set free of that and loving the fact that He did indeed create children. I’m so grateful to be counted among them.

Craig February 21, 2011 at 9:08 am

I’ve been there Dianna – and yes we do need to look alike – but in different ways. The world should know us by our love – but God is big enough meet everyone where they are and work alongside them to make them what he wants us to be – What we want to be – what we should be. And it all starts inside doesn’t it?We are his kids – you are my sister -and thank you for reading – God Bless.

Debbie February 21, 2011 at 7:47 am

Thank you for listing your thank you’s , your joys. Yours are much deeper than mine . . .as to be expected, heh? :)
loving #92 . . .for all He makes possible, even the impossible.
God bless you and fill you with joy everlasting today!

Craig February 21, 2011 at 9:13 am

Not deeper Deb – just far more long winded – you say in three words what I take 100 to. :)
And I will take that blessing of yours and run with it – but not with scissors :)
God Bless you Deb.

Julia February 21, 2011 at 10:22 am

“Or I can focus on your whispers, in and through and around me

and the power of your presence in the now.”

I love that! He whispers, if only we take the time to be still, to be present and to listen and to really hear.

Craig February 21, 2011 at 10:36 am

Thank you Julia – I think all the time of weeing with better eyes – your comment makes me thing – and hear with better ears – thank you for that. God bless.

-t- February 21, 2011 at 11:52 am

it is this:

Or I can focus on your whispers, in and through and around me and the power of your presence in the now.

the now, every moment, each second… the now. because He is here, and here, and here, and…

Craig February 21, 2011 at 11:57 am

I can’t add a single thing to that comment – except thank you. God bless.

suzy February 21, 2011 at 1:10 pm

“that because You live, I live, we live. That in You I live and move and have my being.”
I’ve always loved this idea. No matter what we can’t escape His loving embrace, His beingness brings life breath to us.
A lovely list of thankfulness.

Craig February 21, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Thank yo Suzy. I’ve always loved the idea too – and when I learned that Paul was quoting a Greek poet in the verse I was originally sad. But then I thought that even the world gets glimpses of God’s glory – and this one had it right – and Paul said it was true – good enough for me :)

God bless and Keep.

Joan February 22, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Hello Craig:

# 88 really spoke volumes to me at a season where I’m desiring to live a more simple life…It is so easily to become entangled in the world system and you are right – when we get what we want, we want more….

Blessings,
Joan

Craig February 22, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Thank you Joan (name of my favorite saint :)

Thank you for reading and thoughtfully commenting – and God Bless you in your simple life journey – more of him and less of us. No?

Courtney February 23, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Thank you, Craig, for stopping by and reading my Multitudes On Mondays posts the last two weeks–I know what an investment it is to read others’ writing and I do not take it for granted that you gave me that time. Thank you for encouraging me in my struggle with illness, for saying a pray that I will keep fighting. By His Grace, I *will* keep fighting. And I pray that you will, too.

Things I love most on your list today: “bigger than the universe joy,” “no more time, and more than enough time,” and “in You I live and move and have my being.” Yes, yes, yes.

Grace to you, Friend.

Craig February 23, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Courtney, thank you for being here. I so get your battle. Praying was and is an honor – it makes me smile. Smiles are good. Thank you for reading and taking your time to comment. I look forward to reading you more. God bless you, friend.

Beth Stone February 23, 2011 at 7:13 pm

#91 & 92 – Amen and amen….

This is a great list… thank for for sharing, and also for the kind comments on my blog on Monday. Yes, I did finish the mural. You can see the finished pics here: http://bethstonestudio.blogspot.com/2011/02/finis.html

God bless…

Craig February 23, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Wow Beth. I left a comment :) Beautiful. And thank you for reading today. And 91 and 92 – he placed eternity in our hearts and then made eternity possible – I heart that a lot too. God Bless you – and thank you again. And Brava!

Eryn {mamahall} March 6, 2011 at 12:12 pm

how did i just discover this twin blog? and it’s so so so good. keep bringing it, sharing it, breathing it, learning it, loving it.

Craig March 6, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Yes. Yes you have. It’s been there since day one – two blogs – 10 posts a week – and all of them take hours to write. It’s good to see you here – on Love’s twin. God bless you.