In which there is time and eternity and the Crucifixion…

by Craig on February 23, 2011

It was the most miraculous moment in history – the Crucifixion of Our Lord…

and were we there?

Paul writes in Galatians 2:19, “I have been crucified with Christ”

Was he being literal?

Last week I began exploring time and eternity because Ann Voskamp said so. I’m only writing this because she is the boss of me and I’m linking to…

And this study of time and eternity has made my head spin with all sorts of questions, like:

When was Our Lord crucified? About 33 A.D. Right?

Or was it before the foundations of the earth? (REV 13:8)

And we haven’t been raised from the dead yet – because we haven’t died yet. And we aren’t in heaven yet, because we’re living here – now. Right?

Maybe.

“…even when we were dead in our transgressions, [God] brought us to life with Christ (by grace you have been saved), raised us up with him, and seated us with him in the heavens in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus. (EPH 2:5-7)

So we died, and were raised, and are in heaven now? Even as we live here now?

It’s all possible because one day God will roll up the earth and the heavens like a cloak – and maybe time along with them. (Heb 1:10-12).

And in Revelation 10:8 an angel announces at the end of days, “there will be no more delay”. But literally, in the Greek it reads, “there will be no more time”.

And now, maybe the most mysterious and amazing time and eternity possibility.

Our Lord,

at one “moment”

bore each of our countless sins

and paid the price of them all

on the Cross.

If God can hear and respond to all prayers at the same moment while giving solitary attention to each (here); is it possible that he is able to take each and every sinner, throughout all of time, and place him or her, you or me, literally at the Crucifixion?

Were we transported by a God who is above and beyond time, and whose ways are much higher than our ways, to Calvary?

Then,

once there,

our decisions made in “time”,

to either accept or reject the gospel

were answered in an “eternal moment”

through an act visible

in “time”?

Were we actually “crucified with Christ” – and raised, and seated in heaven – before we were even born?

I told you this was mind boggling. And I write it with a smile.

And through time and eternity Our Lord placed himself in front of us on the Cross so that we and our sins are actually, literally, hidden. Like when we stand between two mirrors and we can see countless reflections all partially hidden behind the first reflection.

Soren Kierkegaard wrote about this:

He hides our sins quite literally.  When a man places himself in front of another and covers him entirely with his body so that no one at all can get a sight of him who is hidden behind — so it is that Jesus Christ covers with His holy body your sin.  Though justice were to rage, what more can it want?  For satisfaction has indeed been made…a vicarious satisfaction which covers your sin entirely and makes it impossible to see it, for repentance losses the sense of sight when justice, to which it makes its appeal says, “I can see nothing.”

Great theologians have thought about this long before me. We just never hear or read about it unless we have stacks of theological books to dive into. I’m just lucky enough to have those stacks available – and I love swimming in them.

And just to make your brain a little more crazy I’ll end with this, by Erich Frank:

History comes to its end in the religious experience of any Christian who is in Christ.  In his faith he is already above time and history.  For although the advent of Christ is an historical event which happened “once” in the past, it is, at the same time, an eternal event which occurs again and again in the soul of any Christian in whose soul Christ is born, suffers, dies and is raised up to eternal life.”

God. Is. Big.

God bless

Dianna McBride February 23, 2011 at 7:10 am

Yes, God. Is. Big! And He uses you to make me think things through…some that I’ve pondered long before coming here, some that I’ve not thought of before. I love the quote by Kierkgaard because it puts a lot in perspective for me. Especially the, “I can see nothing!” For that I will be ETERNALLY grateful. Love that word ETERNAL even though it is a part of time that my mind can not fathom the fullness of. Ranks right up there with SALVATION and GRACE and MERCY.

Thank you for causing me to think! :)

Craig February 23, 2011 at 8:36 am

Thank you Dianna – wrapping my mind around this – and the Trinity over on the twin site – all in one day – this is about as theological as it gets – thank you for reading both and surviving to tell the tale – God Bless you – and thank you again – really.

Raluca February 23, 2011 at 10:07 am

Dear Craig, many thanks for the kind comment you wrote on my blog! That’s another entry I prepare for my next “1000gifts” post: “strangers who find time to address nice words on my blog” :-) Many of my friends read my blog, but only few comment, arguing that “it takes too much time to comment”. So imagine my surprise when I get comments from persons I don’t even know!
Thank you!
And God bless you!

Craig February 23, 2011 at 10:12 am

Nobody gets blogging like another blogger. And now I’m not a stranger anymore – so you might have to change that on your next list :)

God Bless you too.

Raluca February 23, 2011 at 10:39 am

You are so right :-) I just changed “strangers” into “darling people”.

Anonymuss February 23, 2011 at 11:29 am

This time thing….so hard to grasp isn’t it? I love the mirror picture used to explain eternity, too. You are leading us out into deeper water here!

Craig February 23, 2011 at 11:34 am

It is DEEP water – but it’s not my fault – I blame Ann. :)

Tracy February 23, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Thanks for making my brain hurt this morning! Exercise is always good. Many things to ponder.

LOL on the Ann being your boss, comment.

Blessings!

Craig February 23, 2011 at 12:03 pm

If I’m going to have one – who could do better than Ann. Thank you for reading Traci I’m glad I made your brain hurt :) It doesn’t usually get this “theoretical” around here – but time and eternity is a really really deep topic.God Bless

Jenny February 23, 2011 at 12:06 pm

very.thoughtful. post. Thankful Ann made you do it 😉

Craig February 23, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Thank you Jenny – invoking the name Ann is always helpful. No? God bless you – and thank you again.

Amy February 23, 2011 at 1:18 pm

God Is So Big, yet so many days I put Him into a tiny little box or I just forget about Him completely. The desire to put Him first is great, so why don’t I do it? So much to ponder today. Thanks for this great post.

Craig February 23, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Amy – thank you – to think of the immensity of God – how the universe is like a portion of a fingerprint on the pinky of God – THE WHOLE UNIVERSE – so much bigger than we can imagine – and we do forget – you’re not alone in this – it’s this broken world – and our broken-ness – so many things I guess – but I am glad to know – that I’m not alone in not remembering God more often – thank you for that. God Bless.

Debbie February 25, 2011 at 2:09 am

God is big . . .bigger than time. But please, next time it gets this deep, could you hand out life jackets at the start? :) God bless you as you dive deep into Him!

bluecottonmemory February 25, 2011 at 8:12 pm

I’ve never doubted that God knows everything at once (multi-tasking on an unimaginable level) – and all I know is that just as I have woke up crying and praying for a son, interceding, standing on faith – I cannot even grasp Jesus taking all our sin, each individual’s sin on the cross. And that leaves me so humbled – and leaves no room for doubt. It isn’t enought to say, “He is so mighty” – because no word exists to define it.

I am so glad He loved me enough to cover my sin with His sacrifice so that His father could look upon me and love me

bluecottonmemory February 25, 2011 at 8:13 pm

OOoops! I hit the wrong button and didn’t finish. I thought your post perfectly timed as we begin to enter the Easter season. Beautiful reminder!

Craig February 25, 2011 at 11:46 pm

This is why I blog in this community. Godly moms have access automatically, by virtue of their love, to knowledge of how Our Lord works and thinks that I can only get glimpses of. Thank you for what you have just taught me in your comment.

Only a mom would describe what I did in blah blah theological words with the real and true and absolutely accurate “multi-tasking on an unimaginable level”, Only a Christian mom would understand the sacrifice of the Father, through the son in a way that humbles me.

Thank you so much for your comment. Thank you all of you for commenting and teaching me things on such a regular basis. I am blessed.

God Bless you – and thank you again.

Rhonda Schrock February 28, 2011 at 9:24 am

Yes. He is. Thank you for that reminder today.

Blessings,

Rhonda

Craig February 28, 2011 at 9:28 am

Now if I can only remember better how big he is and how much he cares far more often :)
We always forget – I always forget. Thank you for reading Rhonda – God bless.