In which there is one “letting go” that really counts

by Craig on March 16, 2011

Today I’m linking with Ann Voskamp and many other of God’s own

and walking with Our Lord towards Easter,

and considering: The Practice of Letting Go

I began writing these “letting go” thoughts and all of the thoughts were centering on me.

But looking to all the events leading up to that day on the Cross,

and that day in the tomb,

it suddenly it hit me – it’s not about me “letting go” at all.

What I’ve written here is just a prayer, just me, chatting with God – and now, sharing it with you.

It’s not about me at all. Is it, Lord?

It’s about how you “let go”.

You are God. You lack nothing. But you “let go” of so much.

Lord, it was your Augustine who wrote this, “The strength of Christ created us. The weakness of Christ created us anew.”

And at first Lord, I thought, “This is Augustine – he must be right.”

But he wasn’t right, was he?

Lord,

you are the one was with God,

and were God,

and are God.

You are the one by whom all things came to be, and without whom nothing came to be. And you were never created – even though you were born.

You, the One who can never die, humbled yourself, and in your humanity – you did die.

You, who are the Lord of life, “let go” of life.

You, who have access to all power, didn’t care that it appeared like you were under the power of Rome. You, who could dance around the logic and scheming of the Pharisees, allowed it to look like the Pharisees had outsmarted you.

You cared enough about me, about us all, to “let go” of so much.

You could have “held on” to pride. Being perfect you are the only one who can really lay claim to ultimate pride. But you “let go”.

You are the The God of all – who is humble.

Augustine was eloquent,

but wrong.

You gave up your own life. Maybe, even that spear piercing your lungs as it did – something that would kill anyone – had no chance of killing you – unless you allowed it.

I think Augustine saw your dying as weakness – and thought that by that weakness – we are saved. But it wasn’t weakness was it?

It was you “letting go”.

It was you freely laying down your life.

You chose to die and didn’t have to.

You “let go” of life, saying, when it was just the right time,

“It is accomplished”

“Father, into your hands I commend my spirit”.

Your life wasn’t taken. You “let go” of it.

You were sacrificed, but not killed.

You are always God, never were not God, and your death was not weakness.

Because you “let go”, and you emptied yourself, taking the form of a slave, coming in human likeness; and humbling yourself, becoming obedient to death…

I can live.

We. Can. Live.

You are so much better than any wild flight of fancy:

God, but human

All powerful, but humble

eternal, yet bound by time

the Creator of life – and yet dying – and although dying – you lived

perfect, yet subjecting yourself  to fear, hurt, hunger, pain.

And because you “let go”

we can grab the tassel of your robe

and we can “hang on”

and we can be healed.

and we can live.

Thank you.

Amen.

God Bless

Michelle March 16, 2011 at 6:16 am

Simply, beautifully, eloquently put.

Craig March 16, 2011 at 12:19 pm

It just kind of came out – then I just edited it 1,000 times to make it seem eloquent:) Thank you Michelle. God bless.

A. March 16, 2011 at 7:40 am

I like this…we can choose to let go because it is the best choice at times….though it may come at the expense of pride, possessions, material gain, reputation, and more. And the letting go, for the right reasons, may paradoxically produce more life or fruit…

Craig March 16, 2011 at 7:59 am

You know – that’s not what I was going for at all. But it works, A. This is one reason why the new “relational” internets is so much better than the old “surfing” internets. I write – you read – you comment – I read – I LEARN. I was really just kind of simply thanking him for “letting go” and – you know – saving us. You just went with the more esoteric and existential interpretation ❤.

God Bless.

Lisa notes... March 16, 2011 at 9:21 am

I love this, Craig. It was CHRIST doing the “letting go”! So we can hang on. Beautiful, friend.

Craig March 16, 2011 at 11:25 am

Thank you Lisa. He did just “let go” of so much. And because he lives…

God Bless.

Elizabeth March 16, 2011 at 10:49 am

Stunning. He is the Humble King. The picture oh so beautiful as well.

Craig March 16, 2011 at 11:28 am

It really is stunning – He is GOD – and he is humble – stunning is the right word. He is stunning. Amen. Thank you Elizabeth, and God bless.

Tracy March 16, 2011 at 10:56 am

Amen! Healing.

Craig March 16, 2011 at 11:30 am

Amen to the amen. By his wounds we are healed. Amen.

MrsH March 16, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Craig,
I am speechless. This is amazing and true. he did “let go” and “give freely” of Himself. All I can say is AMEN! Thank you Lord!

Craig March 16, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Thank you. It is an amazing thing to think about – just thinking about God in all of his super-cosmic glory is amazing – Our Lord in this earthly life is in many ways even moreso. Thank you for reading – and God bless.

Cora March 16, 2011 at 7:06 pm

This was just so beautiful for me. Somehow, all the theology and all the “big words” and sermons that have been given about Philippians 2:6-8 just fell into place in those two words, “letting go.” In fact, I got my Bible out, and turned to that passage wrote those words in the margin. Mind boggling in some ways. Yet, Paul tells us to have this same mind within US! Here I go, back to the cross again, and again, and yet again. . . .!!!!

Craig March 16, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Well I guess we have Ann Voskamp to thank for giving me these two words – that led to this. I heart really deep theology – but it’s not enough – there always has to be a “so what”. I think today the “so what” was just kind of an awe of what Our Lord “let go” of. And another one is what you’ve added. That we have to have this same mind. Thank you for that. Makes me stop and think. Did I have this same mind today? God Bless you Cora.

Debra March 16, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Could Augustine have meant “weakness” in the sense that Christ took on the form of frail flesh and suffered unto death?
When I read this post, I thought of a song we sang in church once upon a time… “He could have called ten thousand angels…”