In which I list more thank yous (192-205)

by Craig on April 11, 2011

… giving thanks always and for everything in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God the Father. (Eph 5:20)

Mondays are for Gratitude. Linking today with Ann’s

#192 … that there was a time in my life when I had to be humbled. I was an arrogant Christian. Sure. I knew a lot about You, but had far too much pride. And I was laid low – and humbled.

#193 … that now I seek to keep myself humble. I don’t ever want You to have to resort to that kind of discipline again. I consciously seek to remain as You were, during your earthly ministry, confident but humble. It’s far better that way.

#194 …that Your Grace astounds me whenever I take a close look at it. Your forgiveness is unsurpassed.

#195 … that although You had no duty to forgive Your creations – You did. You are Love. Love forgives. It’s an act of cosmic proportions but not very difficult math.

#196 … that I can look about in all directions but True North is the only horizon I see.

#197 … that Although this season of life is hard, I’m reading of You, writing of You , thinking of You, fellowshipping with Yours. The road might be bumpy and uphill but it’s clearly Your road.

#198 … that it’s far better to be on Your bumpy road than a smooth one leading away from You.

#199 … that most days aren’t like this, This day my sleep deprived brain is nearly inoperable – straining so hard to even think. For someone who has always prided himself on being able to communicate, it’s difficult when even words and thoughts struggle to get through the fog.

#200 … that the only time I’ll feel physically good today, is when I’m lying down, eyes closed. But I’ll keep going. I’ll fight. I’ll pray.

#201  … that I’m not alone in the fight.

#202 … that as I write this it feels exactly like when your driving and nodding off behind the wheel. You know, how you have to keep shaking your head to stay awake. But I’ll find a way to do this – and I’ll just find a way to do – period.

#203 … That You were with David, yet the boy still had to gather his stones, use his skill, keep his courage and wits about him, load the sling, aim at the giant, and let fly the shot that would fell the enemy. You, who could control everything – even our free will – choose not to. You let us make choices. It’s a fine line between wanting You to control us – so that we can approach perfection – and being thankful that You let us choose.

#204 … that Lord, I can feel You here, strong with me, through it all. I can hear You just as clearly in the middle of brain “mud” –  caused by no sleep, as I could when I was in perfect health – and in many ways more clearly.

#205 … that You break through any obstacles to get to Your children.

God bless.

A. April 11, 2011 at 9:48 am

“The road might be bumpy and uphill but it’s clearly Your road.”

#205 … that You break through any obstacles to get to Your children.

Thank you, Craig. Sorely needed these today. Lights and blankies for my path.

Craig April 11, 2011 at 10:20 am

You are on my grateful list too A. Thank you – God bless you – and watch out for the piggies along the path – praying for you (◠‿◠).

Lisa notes... April 11, 2011 at 10:55 am

It takes humility to thank God for being humbled. I see that often in you, Craig. Pure grace. Praying for rest and health for you…

Craig April 11, 2011 at 11:24 am

I once blamed God, Lisa, for not using me me – for giving me all the gifts and talent and charm – and then hiding it under a basket. I know why. I’m never going there again. Thank you – rest will be what it will be – health will follow rest – there’s always room for a miracle – but if it’s just a thorn – then so be it – thank God anyway. God bless you Lisa – and thank you.

Christina April 11, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Love all of it but esp. #194! praise Him for his grace. Thanks for sharing. Praying for you.

Craig April 11, 2011 at 2:13 pm

It is good to be prayed for – thank you Christina – God’s will – his will not mine – and me to bend to what he wants. Strength to meet the task – faith – thank you for being here – God Bless and Keep.

Anna @pathoftreasure April 11, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Love #194, #201, and esp. #205… nothing will get in His way and He’ll even defy death for us… what grace, what love… I enjoy coming here and reading your words. May God bless you with rest.

Craig April 11, 2011 at 2:16 pm

I looked back – and the three do make a nice group. The rest – I’m not sure that’s in the cards – it’s been 15 years – a miracle could happen – but I think it is what it is – a thorn – it has it’s reasons for being there. Thank you so much for reading – thank you – and God bless Anna.

Cora April 11, 2011 at 5:00 pm

I thought long and hard about #203 — by itself standing alone, and also in context with the rest of your list. It seems kind of scarey at times to think that God “expects” great things of me, is confident in me to do what is right, and lets me make the choices. I wonder if sometimes I like to think that God did all those things through David and then wish He’d do the same through me. I know better, but as a tiny child would say, “Daddy do!” I’d like to say that, too. In the context of all you are going through, I see the strength and wisdom of David in your writings, and through whatever weaknesses come to you, I sense a strength that surpasses human understanding. You have certainly passed on strength to a hungry community of seekers, and I thank the Lord for you, Craig. And I’m praying for you, too!

Craig April 11, 2011 at 6:51 pm

Thank you Cora, it’s his strength that keeps me going – period. Any strength you see is Him, any wisdom it’s Him. My brain is a little wonky right now or I’d give you a better response to your comment. I’ll just say thank you – I get what you’re saying – God Bless you – and thank you – see – wonky I already said that – I’d say more but it took a whole lot just to say that. The spirit is willing but…

laura April 11, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Craig,

You know what I love about your gratitude list? It tells a story. And a rather good one at that. Thank you for stopping in to see me today! Your poem is welcome anytime–as well as any meandering prose :). I make a lot of that. And I’m sorry you are not having a good day–physically. Praying healing blessings over you, my friend.

Craig April 11, 2011 at 7:05 pm

It’s a thorn Laura – and of all the things it makes me – the best is that it gives me compassion and leaves me humble – and brings me to Our Lord – so as horrible as this is right now – I really can’t complain. If I look at it with better eyes – I can’t complain. God Bless you and thank you for reading.

Debbie April 12, 2011 at 1:09 am

So thankful to be here and reading your list. The ones God wanted me to see especially were #197 and #198. God bless you as you let Him use you, even though you are suffering. Praying for you tonight, for His will and all He has in store for you.

Craig April 12, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Oh Deb – I was on that smooth one for a while and didn’t even know it – the discipline I always write about – if not for that – who knows where I’d be. And not to worry – it’s just a thorn – if it stays I thank him – if he takes it – I thank him – either way…

God bless you Deb

Mary April 12, 2011 at 6:04 am

Hi Craig, I found you at Ann’s place. Thank you for sharing…for your transparency. The trials we face in this life are not always easy to understand, but are refining us for His good. Based on your writing, I think you believe that you that too. I think you stopped by my place last week, but I was so busy I didn’t visit anyone. Please forgive. I am glad I found you today!
Blessings,
Mary

Craig April 12, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Mary was my mom’s name – I heart the name Mary. And amen – James says the way of wisdom is through trials – so I hate ’em – but I’m thankful for them. And like you figured I knew what you meant – I figure the same (◠‿◠). I’m thankful you read my words today. Blessings to YOU to Mary!!

Michelle April 12, 2011 at 6:28 am

… that I’m not alone in the fight.

Thank you for this reminder. I found out yesterday that a friend of mine has aggressive lung cancer and need to see her tomorrow. She doesn’t know Jesus, but God has continually reminded me that I need to be Jesus to her (not always easy, esp when we were living next to each other and she was in my house more than hers). There have been many times I’ve wanted to walk away, but God hasn’t let me. He gives grace, and abundantly. I hope and pray that she will know Jesus in this life, and know there are others praying for her too.

Craig April 12, 2011 at 3:35 pm

I just finished praying for your friend – she needs Our Lord, and she might even be a better house guest with him in her life. I prayed for you too Michelle. God bless you.

Grace Walker April 12, 2011 at 11:34 am

Be gentle with yourself! Sounds like your body is telling you it needs to rest. If there isn’t any way, make one!

Take care!

Craig April 12, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Thank you – The problem is rest will do no good – the body needs sleep – but doesn’t do it. I will take care though – it’s just a thorn – plenty of people have thorns – and I know it’s allowed for a reason and it does good stuff – along with the horrible. So if I need it still I want it still – and if Our Lords chooses to take it – I’m not holding onto it (◠‿◠). His will not mine – more of him less of me. Thank you for being here – and thank you for being nice. God bless.

Patti April 12, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Once again, I am blessed and humbled by your words, Craig. I especially like # 192 and 193 on your gratitude list. God uses humble people, and sometimes it takes thorns to learn humility, but the reward is silver and gold produced in our lives. I am praying for you. Sometimes, God removes the thorns. He loves you and anything he brings into your life is only to refine you. God bless you, and thank you for your writing.

Craig April 12, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Amen Patti – humility is a HUGE part of Christianity – Love, for me is the biggest part because it encompasses all the others – but if we aren’t humble – we aren’t at all like Our Lord. And I’ve said this to others and now you too – it’s just a thorn – if it stays I thank him – if he takes it – I thank him – either way…

God bless you Patti – and thank you.

Joan April 12, 2011 at 8:26 pm

Craig:

I am blessed by reading your list. I really like #198. Sometimes the path is always smooth or easy, but better to be walking in God’s path than away from Him.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your comments regarding my husband’s new job.

Blessings,
Joan

Craig April 12, 2011 at 8:53 pm

I could tell how important that was for you and your family. And as a man I know how important it is to your hubs self esteem and feeling of value. If you want to cut a man deepest there are a few ways to do it – one is to make him feel like he’s unfit to provide for his family. So I know exactly how important is is for him as a man. Thank you for your kind words Joan – – God bless you and yours.