In which a thousand thank yous continue (#’s 206-224)

by Craig on April 18, 2011

… giving thanks always and for everything in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God the Father. (Eph 5:20)

Mondays are for Gratitude. Linking today with Ann’s

This counting makes me ponder questions like this. If today were the day that this life would end, and I entered eternity fully, would I be OK with that last day?

It’s said to live each day as if it were your last. No?

So I ask the question…

and I’m thankful…

#207 … that the answer is yes.

#208 … that there are no regrets that could be rectified with one more day.

#209 … that everyone who loves me knows I love them.

#210 … that there are no last minute “sorries” left unsaid.

#211 … that there are no final “forgivenesses” to be doled out.

#212 … that although it’s said that no man ever wishes, on his death bed, that he would have spent more time “at the office” – not an issue for me.

#213 … that although I can always be more obedient, I pursued Our Lord this last day. I spend lots of time doing that anyway – always with God’s Grace making my imperfect human efforts – perfect.

#214 … that I am working as hard on my current dream as I’ve ever worked toward any dream – including yesterday. Of course this body doesn’t want to sleep. I have my thorn in the side, so the body tires, and the brain gets fuzzy, and I get sick. So maybe I should modify that and say – given the limitations of this body I am working even harder than it allows.

#215 … that although nobody who is close to me really acknowledges my blog, and not one of them really reads my words. I’m OK with that. Our Lord makes me OK with that. I heart that.

#216 … that although all my life I’ve sought to be Center Stage,  I’m OK now with the spotlight being elsewhere.

#217 … that while, in the past, I never really considered any success to be a success, without shouts of “Bravo!” (and two curtain calls) – now I’m satisfied with just two big heavenly hands clapping.

#218 … that it’s not that I’ve grown. It’s that Our Lord has grown me.

#219 … that if this were my last day, I wouldn’t worry about standing before God and having to say, “Meh, sorry it’s been so long since I talked to you but…”

#220 … that I’ve spoken with him within the last few minutes, and have been a prattling chatterbox with him for the longest time.

#221 … that although I know I haven’t done love perfectly, my every human effort being imperfect – way imperfect sometimes. I love well. Or is it good? Either way, I do love – imperfectly but good (or well) – and then there’s Grace.

#222 … that I wouldn’t regret that I wasn’t more accomplished on this earth, because it’s love that matters here, not medals. I don’t have many medals, and I do have many failings in my past. But I think I’d feel OK about not achieving more “earthly success”.

#223 … that if asked by Our Lord, “How was that last day, Craig? You OK with that?” The answer would be yes. The last week? Yes. Month? Yes. Year?

#224 … Yes – but I’d be reaching for the Grace card.

God Bless.

Glenna April 18, 2011 at 9:41 am

Love you list ..this is my favorite
that it’s not that I’ve grown. It’s that Our Lord has grown me. this is so true …………

Craig April 18, 2011 at 9:50 am

Yeah – I had plenty of years to grow myself – then resisted his efforts to grow – still I’m grown now – that’s the good news – and still growing. Thank you Glenna – thank you – God Bless you.

Christina April 18, 2011 at 9:48 am

As always, love and am challenged by your list. One of Jonathan Edwards life resolutions was that he would always live as if it were his last day. Especially love 217 and 218.
Have a blessed day!

Craig April 18, 2011 at 9:51 am

I think those are my two favorites as well Christina. I would never have grown up if it weren’t for him – and if only I hadn’t resisted his help so much…

God bless you – and thank you as always.

Melanie April 18, 2011 at 9:51 am

Beautiful! Thank you for this powerful reminder to my heart!

I have some free Easter / “He Is Risen” blog buttons if you would like one to display on your blog during Holy Week! They are on my blog and free to anyone who would like one. :-)

Celebrating His resurrection,
Melanie

Craig April 18, 2011 at 9:55 am

Thank you Melanie – really – thank you. I’ll run over and take a look right now. It’s been a very “Lenty” lent – lots of focus on the suffering of the Cross – pensive – but now is the time to be – as you put it, “Celebrating His resurrection”. This is the week!!! Thank you again Melanie – and God Bless you and all of yours.

Sallie Howell April 18, 2011 at 12:44 pm

What a very thoughtful list. It has made me reflect today. Thanks for sharing!

Craig April 18, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Thank you Sallie, I’m kind of wordy. No? And reflective, and pensive, and deep. My sister said when I named the blogs “Deep” it was perfect because I never do anything unless I do it deeply. I’ve said here before that here words were only “kind” of a compliment. God bless you Sallie – and my thanks.

Amy April 18, 2011 at 1:33 pm

First, this is one of my all-time favorite verses. And the one I go to when I need a “reality check.” What a great way to look at gratitude today. Because we aren’t guaranteed tomorrow, are we? And we need to live grace-full lives today. I love your list. As always, you’ve given me much to ponder – in a good way. Thank you, Craig.

Craig April 18, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Thank you Amy, really, thank you. I give the credit to Ann, and Our Lord too – can’t forget him. Without her, and without him, I’d never even ask the question. Again, really, thank you, and Blessings!!

Debbie April 18, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Thank you Craig for sharing your thank yous. You always get me thinking and thanking Him more too! God bless you and all He keeps you doing!

Craig April 18, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Deb – last week was an interesting one. You know I never leave your blog without thinking either. God bless Deb – and as always – thank you.

Patti April 18, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Another beautiful list, Craig. I especially loved, “that everyone who loves me knows I love them.” How important it is to let those we love know we love them. I also loved how you said, “I’m satisfied with just two big heavenly hands clapping.” That is the most important applause of all!

Craig April 18, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Thank you Patti – it took far too stop craving Center stage – and all the attention. I do want to please the One who created and Sustains everything and who loves us – LOVES us – so amen to your “That is the most important applause of all!” God bless you Patti – and thank you!!

donna rae barrow April 18, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Hi, Craig! So glad to see all the YES and glory and love to the Lord in your list! #215 reminds me that He reads my blog, He knows my heart, He is my constant. Many blessings of peace and joy this holy week.

Craig April 18, 2011 at 4:40 pm

I heart this “He reads my blog, He knows my heart, He is my constant.” That goes with the only applause that counts being from HIM. That made me smile – thank you Donna Rae – God Bless you!!

Jennifer April 18, 2011 at 5:40 pm

#215 is interesting.
About a year after I started blogging, my Mom shared that she started reading it. Sometimes I write with her in mind now.
I send direct links to things I blog about that I know will interest my husband, but he knows a million things more than I type already.
Others I know read it. Some Moms in our homeschool group share that they enjoy what I write, but what I didn’t expect when I started writing was how many strangers would comment. Strangers, much more than people who are close to me, read my blog, too.
Words are powerful. To share the love of God through blogging, even to strangers, feels at times like being a missionary. When I think about what I write I try to remember that.
You blog so obviously about God’s love and His Word, there may be many people you never know that you influence.

Craig April 18, 2011 at 6:07 pm

I think that’s the way it is with blogs – you either get them or you don’t. If you live in the bloggy world you “get it”. I never really read blogs until just before I began blogging. I didn’t “get it” then either – but it’s an amazing place this “Christian Mommy” blog world. Like your stuff – I heart your stuff. I’ve talked with lots of influential “rock star” Christian bloggers – and they go through this too – even many of them have families that don’t “get it”. Anyway God Bless you and thank you Jennifer.

Tina April 18, 2011 at 7:16 pm

#222 ~ I’ve been telling my kids that if they accomplish great success in this world but do not know the Lord, I’d say they failed in life and I would be disappointed. BUT even if the fail to accomplish much by this world’s standards but know the Lord, they’ve accomplished all and I’ll be so proud of them.
And the family thing, I can feel your pain. My family hardly ever reads my blog and that was the whole reason I started one – so they could know what is going on w/ us all these hundreds of miles away!

Craig April 18, 2011 at 7:55 pm

It’s a bloggy thing – people either get it or they don’t. We are a species apart – bloggers :) And there’s nothing wrong with worldly success. Moses, David, Joseph of Arimithea, Lydia – all “successful” – but all had God at their center. If “successful” wants to stalk me and capture me I promise not to put up too much of a fight though :)

Just always to keep Our Lord as my center. No? Thank you Tina – thank you and blessings!!

Amy W April 18, 2011 at 9:00 pm

#218… good stuff
Great list… thanks for typing out your heart here

Craig April 19, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Thank you Amy, it is kind of our heart on display when we blog. No? And the growth – Our Lord is much more consistent and much more resistant to the Enemy’s tricks than I am. It’s good he’s in charge. God Bless you Amy – and thank you.

Katie@alwayssimplybegin April 18, 2011 at 9:02 pm

No regrets. Peace. Thanks be to God.

Craig April 19, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Regrets? There are always regrets – we always want do -overs. We always think we can do better with one more shot. But as far as if Our Lord said, That was it – the last day – you OK with it? Yes. Could I do better? Love more? Be more obedient, more confident, more like Our Lord – yes to that too. But there is Grace. Thank you Katie – thank you – and God Bless.

Hillcrest Cottage April 19, 2011 at 9:15 pm

My favorite quote by Martin Luther says, “If I knew jesus was coming back tomorrow, I would plant a tree today.” Lots of truth to ponder in that quote.

Craig April 19, 2011 at 9:21 pm

OK – big Master’s degree in Theology and all – and I don’t get that. You have to come back and explain it to me. I am bereft of understanding :) Was he really really secure in his salvation, overconfident, a tree hugger? I need help. God Bless you – and thank you – but I need help :)

Hillcrest Cottage April 19, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Ha… ha… I am “Wife-of- ThM” but I supported us financially while he worked on his degree AND I’ve been married to him for 29 years AND I know Jesus personally myself (the BEST cred… amen?) so that gives me the credibility to at least answer this question… hopefully.

I think there are several ways a person could interpret Luther’s quote.
Here are just two of my thoughts:
1. A person who is Satisfied, Content, Secure, and Confident in their relationship with God may not choose to do anything differently today if they knew Jesus was coming back tomorrow because they are already doing and being and living their life in ways that please God.

2. As believers in Christ who may truly be the last generation on this planet, we should not wait for Christ’s return on a hill somewhere, but must continue on with our lives ( hopefully with expectant hearts and a sense of urgency) doing whatever work to which God has called us. Planning for the future, going to work, getting married, having children… doing and enjoying life… planting trees… planning for the future are all things God wants us to continue to do.

Craig April 20, 2011 at 2:00 pm

I think I get both now – thank you – really thank you so much for taking the time to explain it – I had inklings but you really hit it on the head I think. God bless you – and thank you.

A. April 27, 2011 at 8:01 am

#215 surprises me. Blogs like yours and your readers’ reveal so much of the inner thoughts of a person in addition to a lot of wisdom and insight.

#219 and 220-I loved those! What a picture of a child all hoppy over and with his Father!