In which there are ashes and fire

by Craig on April 27, 2011

*this is yesterday’s post, but it’s still here because in light of all the tornadoes it, it reads differently today.

blaze

once smothered

settles

to embers

and embers once quelled

become ash

Yet

only to appeal
supplication to gates

entrance to wheel within wheel

to enjoin, to press, to entreat

to believe

to breathe into death
and ruins take heed

ash begets fire
fire takes form

blackened wings set ablaze
as form becomes phoenix

and phoenix rises from dust

phoenix

takes

flight

♥✞ღ

Isaiah:  fire to ashes

All of you kindle flames
and carry about you fiery darts;
Walk by the light of your own fire
and by the flares you have burnt
This is your fate from my hand:
you shall lie down in a place of pain. (IS 50:11)

Job:  ashes to fire
In my own nest I shall grow old;
I shall multiply years
like the phoenix. (Job 29:18)

there is gaining from losing

you
can
rise

today

♥✞ღ

I walked with Ann toward Easter, and Lent was full, and Holy Week stunningly spectacular, and then

unexplained sadness

And there was a longing for a season, 40 days post Easter, because the story doesn’t end Easter morning. I felt cheated for some reason when I should have felt elated. Maybe without these 40 days after Easter – the apostles would have experienced the same. Like we had the 40 days of Lent, I longed for 40 days more…

And wouldn’t you know – Ann Voskamp would already be creating them…

I join with Ann and contemplate Resurrection…

oh, and since it’s a poem – I link with a true poet…

God bless

Mary April 27, 2011 at 6:00 am

Hi Craig…nothing loaded for this post except the title. I look forward to reading the rest of the post!

Craig April 27, 2011 at 6:06 am

Ooops – thank you Mary – the phoenix rises. ҉

Lisa notes... April 27, 2011 at 7:33 am

Wow, Craig! How can you keep writing better and better when you started out so powerfully anyway? This is beautiful: the images, the words, the Savior behind it all. Thanks for blessing us with this work of art.

Craig April 27, 2011 at 12:54 pm

It’s inspiration – it’s all the stuff I read in this community – the poets I read here – the wisdom I get – I’ve gotten lots from you – and Our Lord does the filling – I do best when I get out of the way – And Ann Voskamp said to think about resurrection – so with all that inspiration – well…taking a breath…thank you Lisa – I still remember the first blog of yours I read months ago – heart your stuff – thank you for the gracious words. thank you. God bless!!

A. April 27, 2011 at 8:41 am

Powerful, powerful poem and images. Wow.

there is gaining from losing; you can rise today. that is so encouraging for today’s walk. thank you, craig.

Craig April 27, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Oh, but you know how poems hate me – this one grrrrrr. Poems are so needy – and mean when you try to write them!! And amen – gain from loss – it’s what we have to do on this broken planet. Thank YOU A. God Bless.

Danelle Townsend April 27, 2011 at 8:59 am

“There is gaining from losing.”
Beautiful photos and imagery.
So much to gain from what we lose.
Amen.

Craig April 27, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Thank you Danelle. thank you for reading and taking the time to comment. God bless you and all of yours today!!! Amen.

Christina April 27, 2011 at 10:21 am

The images are so poignant, beautiful, causing me to pause and think. I too felt the after Christmas blues when Easter ended and I’m excited to spend more time just soaking in the fact that HE HAS RISEN. Thank you for your post and the way you point us to the word.

Craig April 27, 2011 at 1:01 pm

The word. Who knew “the phoenix” was in the Word? I always thoght it was some mythical beast from outside the Bible – but Job knew of it. I think that consdering resurrection with Ann for the next few weeks – that will help keep Easter going – I think she has a plan. Brilliant, that woman! Soul brilliant! Thank you so much – really thank you. God Bless you and yours.

pathoftreasure April 27, 2011 at 10:54 am

Powerful words and imagery… “you can rise today”. Thank you.

Craig April 27, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Thank you. I needed to rise today – it’s been eery dark since Easter. Brighter now. Thank you for reading. God bless you.

Barbara Thayer April 27, 2011 at 11:58 am

Thank you for the pictures, the words and the thoughts. I, too, often feel let down after a glorious resurrection celebration. But this should be just the beginning for us all as we contemplate, as the disciples did, what was accomplished for us. We have their testimony in God’s Word written for us so every day can be Easter/Christmas! Thank you brother for your faithful words.

Craig April 27, 2011 at 1:06 pm

I think this was an Easter that I truly gave into Lent – lived it out – walked with him till Holy week – then it was done – now to live the next 40 days in light of that Resurrection – it’s not done at all. Thank you for your gracious words – really Barbara – thank you. And God bless you this day.

Kris April 27, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Oh my, how I loved this. I will read this again, and again. Aren’t we all just ashes, raised and set in flight, following the one who breaths new life into us all. Thank you for this awesome word. This is a gift to me this day. Blessings to you and yours!

Craig April 29, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Kris – I’m sorry I’m so late responding to your comment – you got caught in my spam blocker again – I think this happened once on my other blog too – now since you’ve been “approved” once on both blogs it shouldn’t happen again. Anyway – your words are so gracious – thank you – and yes we are all just ashes – unless there’s THE Spark. I heart how you write. God Bless you Kris.

Lynda April 27, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Wow! I could hardly wait to get to the ending, but was hoping it would never end. Beautiful words and the photos added so much drama. Wonderful!!!

Craig April 27, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Thank you Lynda – honored really – and touched. I heart the pictures too – they are dramatic. God bless you – and happy bloggiversity!!

Amy April 27, 2011 at 2:56 pm

So powerful Craig. And, as always, I found something here that spoke to me. I, too, have had a sadness since the end of Lent. Maybe because it’s the first one that I have taken as seriously as death – sin death and God-man death. The first one I have drawn in and wrapped myself around, covering and experiencing. But I hadn’t thought about how the disciples felt the 40 days after. I think you have a point. Thanks for the new perspective (as always!) God bless you –

Craig April 27, 2011 at 3:02 pm

I think we share the same thing Amy – really doing Lent – but now begins the 40 days he walked and talked with everyone – and they were still looking for a body – and nobody could find one – but he was frolicking about. It’s still kind of a special time. :) SOmebody should look up how long it was since Jesus met with the guys – ad Thomas – and the next time – it was THATperiod we’ve felt – somebody do that – I havn’t the time :) Thank you Amy for your gracious words – again – and God bless you in our next 40 days of Easter 😉

Kati April 27, 2011 at 3:06 pm

In my work, we talk a lot about peace and conflict – how it is a cycle that often begins with gathering of the firewood, then sparks go off, then the fire rages, then the embers, and finally it cools down again – but too often someone is already gathering new firewood. I like how this story of cosmic eternity is so similar to the everyday communities where I work.

Craig April 27, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Kati – thank you for adding. I really do learn so much down in my comment section. That you took from this something personal, that makes my heart happy – i heart that :) Thank you – really – thank you. God Bless. and did I say thank you?

Dawn April 27, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Wow – what imagery. Powerful poetry coupled with scripture ablaze. This is exquisite, Craig.

I often feel a letdown after something “big” or important in my life. I call it decompressing and it’s always a little disheartening. Did the disciples feel it, too? I don’t know, but it’s an interesting contemplation.

Craig April 27, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Thank you Dawn – that means the world to me. Decompressing – that is a metaphor I could hang out for a while on. I heart that!! God bless you Dawn – and all of yours – and thank you again.

happygirl April 27, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Loved the images and loved the contrast of fire to ashes and ashes to fire. I miss Lent, too.

Craig April 27, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Thank you – heartfelt thank you. Poems never work out the way they start – they a murder – poems hate me – and they always end up differently then they begin. It’s the cycle of the phoenix – and who knew the phoenix was in the Bible huh? Not me. Thank you lots again – we’ll have to make a new post Easter holiday – we’ll form a committee :) God bless and keep you!

brian April 27, 2011 at 3:46 pm

nice…a wonderful transformation…love the imagery of the phoenix…the rising once more…rather like easter…rather like our lives…

Craig April 27, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Brian – when a poet says “nice” it means twice as much to me – because I am no poet. So thank you – thank you – and God Bless.

Brandee April 27, 2011 at 4:04 pm

We were just reading, the other day, the story of Jesus’s raising Lazarus from the dead. I love how it’s not over until He says it’s over, and He never says it’s over once we’ve chosen Him. There is always another birth, always more flame. This is a great post, and I love the photos.

Craig April 27, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Brandee, I HEART this, “I love how it’s not over until He says it’s over, and He never says it’s over once we’ve chosen Him. There is always another birth, always more flame.” Thank you for that! And thank you for your gracious words – really. God bless you and all of yours. My mom, a woman full of love – who didn’t giver her life to Our Lord till just before she died – she loved the Lazarus story – long before accepting Christ. Me too.

Elizabeth April 28, 2011 at 12:54 am

AHHHHmazing!

Craig April 28, 2011 at 10:45 am

You know – it was just one word – but it made me smile. Thank you for that! Smiles are important. Thank you – and God bless you Elizabeth.

Debra April 28, 2011 at 12:59 am

Craig, In which there are ashes and fire is powerful proof that you are created in His image to create such art!
He has given you beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness…

~ Love and blessings

Craig April 28, 2011 at 10:47 am

It is true that with all the fire, and all the ashes – and the rising up from them you do gain some perspective. I’ll take a little smooth sailing now, please and thank you :) Thank you for being so encouraging – but we all know poems hate me – and I’m so nice to them too. God Bless you Debra.

A. April 28, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Rereading again after second day, and so much destruction. Wow, what you wrote on your other blog is so pertinent in all this!

Craig April 28, 2011 at 5:12 pm

I think I’m getting how this blog thing kind of reflects what’s around you as you write. God teaches all the time – I just need better eyes. better eyes. God bless you A.

imperfect prose April 28, 2011 at 9:11 pm

draw near

the face

of

God

i felt myself draw near him through this post, craig… and i know what you mean about the emptiness. but it keeps me longing for more of him… blessings, brother.

Craig April 29, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Thank you Emily – as always, coming from you – the words mean so much. And amen – the hunger stays – always. Blessings to you too sister.

alittlebitograce April 29, 2011 at 8:04 am

I’m praying for the wind to bring forth a phoenix out of what feels like ashes. Beautiful imagery!

Craig April 29, 2011 at 12:54 pm

In the ruins of dreams it’s so hard to see how ashes be risen out of – much less flown out of. I join you in your prayer. Amen. and thank you and God bless you!!

Bristol April 30, 2011 at 11:54 am

I really appreciate how you pulled images, words, ideas, poetry from those two scripture passages. There is indeed gaining from losing. Thanks for sharing this, Craig!

Craig April 30, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Thank you Bristol. There is magic in those two Bible selections – a warning not to try to light our way all by our own power – and rising from ashes – seriously – who knew the idea of the Phoenix was in the bible? Not me. And amen – there is gaining in losing, and fire from ashes. God Bless you Bristol – God Bless.

Debbie April 30, 2011 at 6:31 pm

So good and true and full of Him. Thank you! I’m so glad it doesn’t have to be over. :) God bless you for all you do with Him!

Craig April 30, 2011 at 6:39 pm

I heart it when you read my poems – really do. Thank you Deb. Thank you – and God Bless you.

Joybird May 1, 2011 at 12:45 am

to believe
ushers wind unbound
life unrestrained
to dismantle devastation
lay waste destruction

really beautiful – life unrestrained, how I long to see this more fully

Craig May 1, 2011 at 6:02 am

Abundant life – that’s what he promised. I’m with you though joy – grabbing hold of the promises are easy. It’s like he says, “Here take this” and reaches in his bag – like the wizard of Oz, “peace, full life, joy, eternal life…” and we keep dropping them on the way as we walk down that big green hallway. And inspiration hits – I heart my comment section. This is a future post – wheels are already turning – hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Thank you so much – I know your sea is tossed right now – “peace, be still” to the wind and the waves. God Bless you – and thank you.

Susan@ThoughtfulSpot May 19, 2011 at 5:40 pm

goosebumps . . . better sometimes than tears . . . that’s what your poem did for me . . . powerful. . . thank you <3

Craig May 19, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Susan, thank you for this. I’m not a poet. I keep telling everyone this and nobody believes me. I think poets live and breathe poetry it’s a gift, it’s easy. For me these things take forever and leave me exhausted – so I don’t do them very often. With two blog posts a day to write plus reading so many blogs that I heart so much plus life – well – poetry takes a long time – and poetry is HARD. But it really makes it worthwhile when someone writes such a thoughtful comment to what I’ve written– so thank you very much and God bless and keep you and all of yours this day, thank you.