In which there is the parable of the girl and the arrows

by Craig on May 16, 2011

There was a certain person who had some arrows, a target, and a pretty forest-lined range in which to shoot.

She was told by the owner of the range to keep within the well-manicured lane and stay out of the dark forest. If she entered the forest, which belonged to another owner, he couldn’t guarantee her safety and the fine would be well in excess of what she could afford.

It shouldn’t have been much of a problem.

It was a wide lane and she was a good shot.

She set the target and shot an arrow – bull’s eye.

She proceeded to draw more arrows. Some hit center, some off center, some barely on the target.

Then there were those that missed the target – some by a little, some by a lot. She meant to hit the center every time. But who shoots perfect arrows?

Then came that arrow that missed by a mile. It landed in the forest and she thought, “I have to go get it. Right?”

But there was that warning about going into the forest.

She looked around.
No one was there.
Off she went.

She figured she’d be right back – and after all, didn’t want to lose the arrow.

In the forest the sunlight was dim.

She missed it a little but at least there was a campfire ahead. The arrow wasn’t really in that direction, but the fire looked inviting and there was a party there with lots of people having loads of fun.

She stayed for a while but eventually felt the need to shoot arrows at the target again. She excused herself, got her arrow, and went back to the range. “It hearted that party,” she thought, “but I probably shouldn’t have gone.”

Once back in the range she shot more arrows. Some of them hit. Some of them missed.

It was funny. Earlier she couldn’t hear the party. Now she couldn’t hear anything else.

It beckoned.

But the only excuse for going into the woods was to miss the target badly.

She wasn’t that bad a shot.

Then came an all too clever idea.

She moved the target from the center of the tree lined lane, directly in front of the trees of the forest.

She shot arrows. Some hit center, left, right.

Then one missed the target by just the tiniest bit. “Darn!” she cried as the arrow flew into the woods.

She just missed by a little but she had to retrieve the arrow.

She stayed at the party a bit longer this time and didn’t mind the absence of the sun so much. Eventually she went back to the range. But with the target resituated there were more and more excuses for her to venture where she shouldn’t…

Part two of the parable – if you hearted part one – is here.

Oh, and before I forget, because it’s a story – a parable – I link today with a true storyteller…

Michelle May 16, 2011 at 6:51 am

Life can be like that, can’t it. (I do what I know I shouldn’t do……)

Looking forward to your ending. See you tomorrow night (or maybe Wed).

Craig May 16, 2011 at 12:24 pm

That passage of Paul’s – grrrrrrrr. I think I’ve mentioned having to read it once before a church service – what with all the want to’s and not want to’s – it’s tough reading – and so true. God Bless you Michelle.

P.S. I already know what the ending is :)

A. May 16, 2011 at 9:03 am

This story puts skin on those words….we can see ourselves so much more easily this way, doing what we ought not.

Craig May 16, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Oh – and it’s the moving of the target A. It, to me shows how devious we can get with our sin. It’s why legalism is so wrong – it’s why we have the big two commands instead of the 10 – the law of freedom instead of the law of Moses. Rules? There are always ways around the rules. Obedience from love – well – there is no way around love – I heart that! God bless.

Cora May 16, 2011 at 10:03 am

Parables are so great — stories in which we fit in somewhere. You already have me checking my targets and where my arrows are landing. . . .

Craig May 16, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Thank you Cora – I kinda heart parables too- mostly I heart this one because I know exactly what things are supposed to mean :) It’s my parable :) Heart that!! God bless you Cora.

laura May 16, 2011 at 8:41 pm

I am hearting this parable so far, though I have this sinking feeling…

Craig May 17, 2011 at 8:16 am

I HEART your “hearting” – I heart heart as a verb – you know I almost named this blog I Heart Scripture? My sister said I might outgrow “heart” as a verb. We’ll see. And as for that sinking feeling about the parable… ((mischievous smile))

God Bless you Laura :)

Debbie May 17, 2011 at 2:08 am

You write parables! How cool is that! And I love A’s comment . . .to put skin on the words. :) I tell ya, that girl’s a writer/poet through and through. :) Thank you, Craig. I love this . . .ooops, heart this! :)

Craig May 17, 2011 at 8:18 am

Parables are just stories – with meanings – practically every Laska post is a parable. Much easier than poetry too!! And A? Yup – the girl haz skilz. And I HEART heart!! Thank you. God bless you Deb..

brian May 18, 2011 at 11:10 am

oh this is so well spun…and enchanting but i am afraid i see what is coming…how easy the allure of temptation….

Craig May 18, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Thank you Brian – words like “well spun” and “enchanting” – that’s what I want a parable to be – so thank you for your kind words, I appreciate them. God bless and keep you and all of yours.

HopeUnbroken May 18, 2011 at 12:35 pm

ouch, ouch, and ouch, again! you’ve “hit the target” when it comes to our willful, sinful selves, hm? beautifully woven, yet sharp in its point. it’s great!

Craig May 18, 2011 at 1:05 pm

And very PUNNY – “sharp and its point” – I hearted that! Sometimes I think I’m the only archer out there messing with the target dallying in the woods – good to know that I’m not alone. Thankfully, I haven’t messed with the target for a very long time – and the woods – a little too dark and sinister for my taste. Finally! Again, thank you very much – and God bless and keep you and all of yours this day.

Shaunie Friday May 18, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Excellent beginning Craig!! I can’t wait to read the rest!!

Craig May 21, 2011 at 8:13 am

thank you Shaunie, the second part is written. At the bottom of the post I linked to it. If you haven’t read it, and are curious to see how it end, here’s the link

I heart the ending. Again, thank you so much for reading me – and your kind words – and God bless and keep you and every one of yours this day!

becky May 19, 2011 at 6:11 am

So glad I stopped by for your parable…enchanting, especially for its wordsmithing.

Craig May 19, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Becky, thank you, and I’m really glad you stopped by for the parable as well. Really, thank you for your kind words, thank you – and God bless you.

imperfect prose May 19, 2011 at 9:11 am

love that you are writing parables, craig. and the way you pulled us into your storytelling. well done, brother.

Craig May 19, 2011 at 12:06 pm

it’s really the only parable I’ve tried my hand at Emily. For you to say that the story pulled you in, with the way I respect your writing, it means the world to me. Thank you, really, thank you – and God bless and keep you and all of yours, sister.

Joybird May 21, 2011 at 12:46 am

interesting, very interesting. I look forward to seeing where your parable wanders next.

Craig May 21, 2011 at 7:04 am

thank you, first. And where the parable wanders? It’s pretty much just a two-part parable, there’s this one, and part two. At the bottom of the post there was a link to part two. If you clicked over to it than that it – that’s the parable. It’s our job, it’s my job, as a Christian – to keep pulling the arrows out – and moment by moment – shooting at the target in the center of the lane – without moving the target. So, if you read part two – you have it all. It doesn’t wander beyond part two. Thank you so much for reading me, and God bless and keep you in this challenging time of your life.