In which the unforgivable is forgiven

by Craig on May 20, 2011

I heart this! source

If you just clicked over from Deep into Love – skip this paragraph. If you are here for Deep into Scripture – please read on. I know we’ve been working out what “works” is, here, lately. But today I’m finishing up something uber-important on Deep into Love, my other blog – it’s about forgiving the unforgivable – and I want it finished today – so it’s invading Deep into Scripture’s personal space. It’ll make more sense if you skooch over there to the right – to the top of my sidebar – and click on my Deep into Love banner, and begin there. Because what’s below? It’s actually right in the middle of things. It’s the first time I’ve done this cross-sharing of blog space – hope I’m not violating any interweb laws.

♥✞ღ

You’re still holding onto the bad stuff right?

Both hands.

Inside them,
inside your hands,
inside your arms held tight,
inside you,
is the unforgiveness.

So hold it tightly.

Now, squeeze what’s inside, draw it in closer to your chest, and let the tension build up. It’s generally not good to let things build up – but it’s okay here. Because it’s going somewhere.

Now…

slowly raise your hand away from your chest,
up across your face,
and slightly above your head,
and out just a little bit.

And eyes closed,
hands squeezing,
arms held tight,
feeling the need to release the tension from both,
ask God to take it from you,
and forgive for you,
that which you can’t forgive yourself.

And now open your hands and release what’s inside. Push it away gently, like you’re pushing a little boat off in a lake, or in calm seaside waters.

Push it maybe once,
maybe twice,
maybe three nudges…
or more…

and ask God something like this, “Take this please. I can’t forgive, please forgive for me.”

Push it away,
release it,
and feel release of tension in the arms and hands.
Envision the little boat on the water floating away,
and slowly bring your hands down,
and keep thinking about that boat drifting off in the water.

There it goes, off to God.

Think about all the sin Our Lord has forgiven – this one more is no big deal for him to bear. And he likes to bear our stuff.

Love bears all things.

And breathe in deeply, and breathe out.

Maybe shake the fingers out a little,
and roll the shoulders,
and feel the calm,
and breathe in the peace.

It’s not just some psychological thing
and it’s not meditation or magic.
Used like this – it’s prayer,
and it’s all God.

That’s where the faith comes in.

Without faith that God can take this, and forgive what you can’t – it’s just a Band-Aid over a wound that may never heal. But if God is God. And God IS God. Then he can really forgive someone for us, through us, when we can’t forgive.

And there you go.

I hope it helps.

It might be something to do again later, alone, now that you know how to do it. Because reading the words and doing it at the same time – it might divide attention.

But I think just do it one “official” time.

It’s a form of prayer – we can call it a “capture and release” prayer.

From the day I did it, the man I could not forgive, although he remained the same, something changed in me. Understanding came from somewhere, and compassion was birthed.

Something from nothing, that’s a miracle.

I’m thinking right now, that it’s good that it’s a weekend.

Because this is one of those times I heart.

I’ll be praying about this,

for you,

all weekend long,

Nearly ever hour.

It’s gonna be my thing.

I heart praying for you all.

One more thing…

If you’re reading this, would you pray for everyone giving this a try. There is power, I believe, when we pray together.

“Where two or more are gathered in my name I am there.” (MT 18:20)

God bless.

Cora May 20, 2011 at 9:06 am

Craig, until this moment in time, I really believed I HAD forgiven and let it go. I think It was May 10th you started all this “housecleaning” stuff. I went back at least that far during the past few days and put all the posts together, all the comments, from both blogs. I wanted to soak in the whole of it all. Today. . . . it’s hard. It’s SOOOOO quiet I can hear my heart. And in my hands, I realized I was holding on to the end of the rope. It was a very looooooooong rope tied to my boat. Most of the time, that boat has been way out there, out of site, gone. But I’ve always been able to reel it in. So in reality, my hands never opened to release it fully. I felt the rope slip away this morning. Thank you. Thank you for praying. Thank you for sharing your soul!

Craig May 20, 2011 at 1:52 pm

oh, rope tied to the boat released in the waters – I hadn’t thought of that. It is so true – we can forgive – and mean it – and then take it back, and hold the grudge still. But I have to tell you this Cora. It’s been 20+ years since forgiveness came for the unforgivable one in my life. For me, at least, this one had staying power beyond what I could have done. It’s one more way I know that it was him and not me. I’m already enjoying the praying, and it’s only Friday, I get pray all weekend for everyone who reads this and tries this. I would really heart if people could experience the same – and I can’t call it anything but a miracle – that I did.God bless you Cora, and thank you.

Kristin May 20, 2011 at 11:35 am

Tears streaming down my face. Our God is so awesome and faithful and mighty in power to save, to forgive, to heal, and to love over and over and over. I’m praying for everyone! Thank you for sharing.

Craig May 21, 2011 at 8:10 am

Kristin, first of all, I’m really sorry I’m late responding to your comment. My spam catcher which does a really good job – for the most part – it captured your comment and I had to go rescue it.

And thank you, your absolutely kind words mean the world to me. And thank you for praying along with me. I’d really heart if a bunch of people could experience the same “forgiveness” miracle that I did. I’m sure this wouldn’t work for everybody– but I think it would work for lots.

There are lots of “unforgivable” people out there that we need to forgive. Thank you again Kristin, and God bless and keep you and every single one of yours!

Anna May 20, 2011 at 11:21 pm

I like the visualization and the hand holding that goes along with the forgiveness… I have never thought of, or heard of trying this. I’ve seen (and participated) in writing names or situations down, then having them torn, or thrown in a fire… and releasing that way as a physical symbol of the forgiveness in the heart– but not like this, using my own hands and holding the bitterness, then releasing it. I think it can be powerful way to heal and forgive.. I’ve read that using hands is one way that some of us learn better (called “kinesthetic” learners, while others are more “visual” learners, others more “auditory”, etc.)… but most of us do benefit from sort of “hands-on learning” no matter our dominant learning style. So this is is not only an action of the heart, but also “hands-on”! :)

And I think I’ve usually prayed this way, “God help me to forgive”, instead of “God, forgive for me”. So that is also new. Thank you for these, for sharing your story, all of this. Just beautiful. And I also absolutely adore that photo above! (Where do you find the best pictures?)

Craig May 21, 2011 at 7:00 am

I’d like to take full credit for this Anna, but I can’t. I didn’t invent the method, and I’m sure the preacher I heard it from that night didn’t invent it either. I just know that God took away the unforgiveness. I haven’t looked deeply for scriptural support for this – but I kind of don’t want to – because my experience – the experience of the miracle of absolute and total unforgiveness being removed – I just find that to be enough. And I’m a guy that wants a scriptural basis for everything – the experience was that powerful.

I have a feeling too, that most forgiveness we just have to do, most forgiveness it’s within our power to give – and so God expects us to do that – to forgive as he forgives. But there are some, like this, that he just may take – he did it with me.

And I heart that art too! It generally takes me about three hours to write a post from beginning to end. Trying to cut that down because it takes a lot out of me. But usually a good 30 min. of that time is spent searching for the right picture – and sometimes way more than that because the perfect picture is hard to find. The web has all sorts of picture sites, if you click on the pictures were I put source underneath, it’ll take you to where I found each picture. Let me know if you want me to be more specific about this and I’ll answer better.

Thank you Anna, writing this post was a little different than just about any other post I’ve written, the description of this act of pushing the boat off. I was afraid it would come across as a little preachy and teachy – and know it all ish. I’m glad you received it well.God bless and keep you and all of yours this day Anna!

Frelle May 27, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Im so glad you blogged about this. I remember when you explained this to me and how powerful it was.. I hope the visual has been powerful to others as well.

Craig May 28, 2011 at 8:15 am

Jen, I remember telling you. For the longest time this was the single best proof of the existence of God to me – that I was able to forgive, or rather he was able to forgive, whatever the case was, the one who was unforgivable was forgiven – and then them was replaced with compassion. Thank you for reading Jen, God bless you.

Craig May 28, 2011 at 8:16 am

Jen, I remember telling you. For the longest time this was the single best proof of the existence of God to me – that I was able to forgive, or rather he was able to forgive, whatever the case was, the one who was unforgivable was forgiven – and then the venom was replaced with compassion. Thank you for reading Jen, God bless you.

A. June 1, 2011 at 11:10 pm

Craig, I am reading very late here, but love the ‘capture and release’ prayer here…going through the motions of it makes it even better. I heart this.