In which there are 1,000 thank you’s to God (#336-357)

by Craig on June 6, 2011

#336 … for being able to read “thank you” lists all through the week.

#337 … for the reminders of how I need to be looking at life, looking at You.

#338 … that I don’t need to be creative and find ways to see You in every little thing, I just need to know You are here – all around me – in me.

#339 … that everything I do can reflect the truth that You, the only true God of the universe – of all things – You are in me, and you have placed infinity in my heart.

#340 … that this is unalterable truth, that it’s in my heart, that I believe it, and it’s not just religious blabbering.

#341 … for a chance to make a huge amount of money – a HUGE amount – but make it in a way in which You would not approve. And that my answer was no, even though I have very little wealth.

#342 … that it’s not money which is the root of all evil – and for this fine distinction You have made known to us, “For the love of money is the root of all evils, and some people in their desire for it have strayed from the faith and have pierced themselves with many pains.” (1Tim 6:10)

#343 … that I have had enough of straying, and have little desire for any more pain – please and thank you.

#344 … that there will be another way – and if there isn’t, it doesn’t matter. I still have wealth – a better, if not more spend-able, kind of wealth.

#345 … that the older I get, I see more clearly the game we constantly play for supremacy – and how silly it is. The most “supreme” of all of us is still just a speck on a blue dot surrounding a medium sized Sun, in a vast universe – a universe that reduces that blue dot to nothing, much less any speck on it – no matter how supreme.

#346 … that only being related to, and loved by, the Creator of that vast universe lends any sort of meaning to existence at all.

#347 … that we are – related; and so have – meaning. We are Your fingerprint on the universe.

#348 … for being reminded that it is easier to avoid temptation then to have to fight it.

#349 … that my dream, since I’ve known You, is to know all I can about You, and share that with as many as I could.

#350 … for a chance, this chance, to make that dream a reality.

#351 … for this blogging community in which I get to write – and read – and be read.

#352 … that there is so much of Your heart here. (I heart that)

#353 … that You led me to write, not in a male dominated “blah, blah” community where “knowledge” is the feature. But in a community where love is the feature – and a much more full and deep knowledge is the result.

#354

since I’m well – you know – a man and all.

#355 … that reading you all gives me a different vision of life, and love, and Our Lord, than I’ve ever had.

#356 … that I go back sometimes and read the blogs that I would have been reading, in the “niche” I would have been writing in. I would’ve learned. I would’ve debated. But I would’ve missed the wisdom, and beauty, of this community in which I find myself.

#357 … for You all. I really am thankful to Our Lord, for you all. (or in some cases, y’all)

tinuviel June 6, 2011 at 7:54 am

Craig, this is a beautiful window into your soul. Thank you for sharing so vulnerably.

I have read your comment at my site and am praying how to respond. That struggle is so common; I know it myself. Perhaps the answer will be its own post. If so, I will let you know. Just wanted you to know you have been heard.

Oh, and thank you for your gracious compliment that tells me God is answering my prayers about the blog.

May the loving, merciful God speak His truth into your heart today, and may it take root and flourish.

Craig June 6, 2011 at 12:24 pm

it seems my soul is getting more window-ish all the time. I think I may have to invest in some screens :-) and let me see… There’s one thank you… And there’s one you’re welcome… And one God bless you. God bless you.

Elizabeth June 6, 2011 at 10:32 am

I find myself tearing up at your list this week…remembering when you first started here and now you’re in the three hundreds!
Reading here I think of the book The Seven Longings of the Human Heart by Mike Bickle. Have you read it? If not, I recommend it.
God bless you Craig!

Craig June 6, 2011 at 12:29 pm

I really heart the thank you lists Elizabeth. They lift my heart when I read them as well is when I write them. If you remember all the way back to my numbers 1-10 here – then you remember when I first started blogging.

I’m going to put the book on my “read later” shelf. Thank you for the recommendation. But between you and me – I only have time to read the Bible, and Bible commentaries, and a gazillion blogs per week – all of which I heart. So I’m afraid no books until you write your bestseller :-) thank you Elizabeth – thank you – and God bless and keep you.

Dawn June 6, 2011 at 11:17 am

Craig,

I was struck by so many of your thank you’s this week. Number 341 is intriguing and numbers 349 to the end of the numbers made my heart melt, but the one with which I most readily identified was number 345. I am so “there”, too.

Here is one of my memorized verses. It’s from Colossians 1:18
“And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy.”

In everything – He has the supremacy,
Dawn

PS Do the different colors on the numbers have meaning? Some are red, some are black…
PSS Thanks for the book recommendation to Craig, Elizabeth. I love Mike Bickle’s writing and I have not read this.

Craig June 6, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Dawn, first of all the different colored numbers meant only poor proofreading. Thank you for alerting me :-) and #345 – you’re there to? It’s just getting so much more obvious, the older I get, what a Looney Tunes rat race we humans have put ourselves in. If it’s not money – it’s goats – it’s been something since the beginning of time. And we just. keep. repeating. a silly game – silly humans. Yet I still allow lack of worldly success to color my view of myself. Grrrrr. Thank you again, Dawn, and God bless and keep you and all of yours including the muttlies.

Cora June 6, 2011 at 12:45 pm

I’m at #345, too. That reference to Looney Tunes took me back and and aged me, for sure. And yes, even yesterday I did the “poor pitiful me” thing — OUTLOUD, no less — and expressed how insiginificant I was. Strange how that when you let out a strand of words, you wish wish you could just pull them back in!!!! I have to say, Craig, that your whole list made a combined ONE! And the picture of the thank you in the sand???? That was just the greatest and spoke volumes to me. I could see a wave coming over that, washing it away, and you (me) (whoever) writing it over and over, again and again! But never enough times. So glad I was here! Isn’t it great how blessings just flow in and through us and continue on their way to bless others????!!!!!! Thank you!

Craig June 6, 2011 at 12:54 pm

first, Cora, the Looney Tunes reference – just as fresh today as it was – well – before :-)

And as for the waves washing over the thank you – that’s kind of an expected thing when you write it down by the water. Sometimes people get all sad when it happens – I don’t get that – it’s kind of like graffiti washing – God’s graffiti washing :-)

Thank you Cora – as always – and as always – God bless you!

Cindy Holman June 6, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Aww – I love these!

Craig June 6, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Cindy, don’t you love how when we learned how to write they told us not to overuse the! – But here in the land of blog we get to overuse them with impunity!!!!!!!!!! AND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thank you Cindy, and God bless you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ƪ(◠‿◠)╯

Cora June 6, 2011 at 2:33 pm

I didn’t know we weren’t supposed to use the ! when we wrote. Maybe I never wrote anything that meritted a ! when I was in school learning to write. I mean, does ANYTHING in a 5th grader’s report on Peru merit a ! ?????? I agree, Craig, that there’s LOTS of stuff going on in blogland that deserves a !!!!!! response!

Craig June 6, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Cora, I think we actually did use exclamation points a lot in grade school, and high school, it was after that – that’s when we were told to stop using it. So for years I didn’t. For years I looked down in kind of a snobby little way on those who did. But now – along with emoticons :-) – I use them To my hearts content!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I heart blogging :)

Christina June 6, 2011 at 12:52 pm

346 and 347–Yes! Thanks be to God. That He would want to be related to someone like me never ceases to wonder and amaze me! Blessings to you:)

Craig June 6, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Christina, I’m not at all surprised that he would want to be related to you – it’s the fact that he wants to be related to me – that makes me question his choices a little bit :-) but then, I guess he knows best. And blessings to you too Christina!

Kristin June 6, 2011 at 4:37 pm

I’ve learned over the years the only kind of wealth that is important is the wealth that comes from the Lord, whether that seems much or little to the world, it doesn’t matter. He is our provider and what He gives is more than enough. (now if I can just remember this when the college bills start arriving!) Leaning, relying, waiting on Him is an exciting way to live!!! :)
~May you find all your gifts in the coming week~

Craig June 6, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Kristin, there is that balance. No? There is a need to be able to provide for those in your care – a responsibility – a God given responsibility. And yet true worth is not measured in dollars. This is hard for a man to admit – so I’ve done so haltingly on my blogs – but I don’t really hide it. Success in the way of the world – that’s never been my thing. Nor wealth. I have very little – but I have a lot of God. And I can’t tell you how hard it is for a man to say – even a man who knows the truth of your words, “the only kind of wealth that is important is the wealth that comes from the Lord, whether that seems much or little to the world, it doesn’t matter.” so,shhhhh, don’t tell anyone I even mentioned it. God bless you Kristin.

Terri June 6, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Craig, I always enjoy reading your lists. I love #341. It’s such an amazing thing when the Lord allows a temptation to face us and we recognize that it would not be a good choice, even when the world says differently. Have a blessed day!

Craig June 6, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Terri, Amen. And the thing was, the motives of the person were good. But the conflict in values of someone who has a relationship with our Lord, and someone who doesn’t – it’s stark sometimes. Things that are clearly wrong – for someone who doesn’t have a living and vital relationship with Jesus – they’re not so wrong – they’re not even gray. During the talk this came out to me more and more. If I really love our Lord things of the world DO grow “strangely dim”.

I said this when I was a brand-new Christian. I said it to our Lord in prayer, “I don’t want wealth, I don’t want power, I want you.” I wonder if sometimes God takes us literally at our word – and then we forget what that word was. One of the things I heart most about blogging is the conversation I get to have with amazing people in my comments – comments that make me think. Obviously yours made me think. Thank you. And God bless and keep you and all of yours Terri.

Melanie June 6, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Craig, I just ADORE your list!!! I normally try to keep a couple of my favorites in mind from each list, but I jut love them all on yours! Written from your heart to mine, all to point to the Father.
Beautiful.

blessings,
Melanie

Craig June 7, 2011 at 10:55 am

thank you Melanie!!! I’ve been working lately on allowing nice things that people say to actually go past my ears and into my heart. Normally I’d hear the nice words – and whooosh – they’d be gone. A work in progress. That being said, thank you, just thank you, means the world. (Smile) and God bless and keep you this day Melanie!

PS the pointing to the father part – that’s important to remember – thank you.

A. June 6, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Craig, I am glad you ‘crossed over’ into pink blog land per #353. We are blessed to have you here.

Craig June 7, 2011 at 10:57 am

little by little, A., Little by little I’m learning how to be the blue daisy among the pink ones :-) thank you A. – And as always God bless you.

Joy June 7, 2011 at 7:26 am

#341-346 are soooooo good. Thank you for sharing them. It helps to read of others who are finding their security in God and not in numbers of any sort. I still catch myself wavering and looking over there, so posts like this help remind me to keep my eyes focused on Him and turn my thoughts elsewhere.

Craig June 7, 2011 at 11:03 am

Joy, I do so love having you read my words. Your words were some of the ones that drew me into writing in this community. I heart reading you – always have. and honestly, we all tend to look “over there” – and we all – at least you and me at least – need to keep tilting our head back toward our God. Blessings Joy – blessings to you and all of yours – and thank you again

Kris June 7, 2011 at 12:59 pm

love this list, Craig. I have appreciated and enjoyed your male perspective. It is refreshing and a gift. You shatter the male ‘stereotype’ 😉 bless you, as always!

Camille June 13, 2011 at 2:12 am

Lovely list Craig. It really is a wonder that the LORD lead us so gently along and teaches us of HIMSELF in such amazing ways. May HE indeed bless you this week!

Blessings,
Camille

Craig June 13, 2011 at 10:20 am

thank you Camille, thank you.

And Amen, it is so good that our Lord teaches us personally – not always so gently though :-) but perfectly. Blessings to you too Camille, and to all of yours.