In which I give thanks to God 1,000 times (#’s 503-515)

by Craig on August 22, 2011

A smattering of thunder and constant dripping of rain from the gray I write.

Thinking of it, and You who designed it, and You who are in it, and us.

So I apologize today…

because my thank you list is…

all wet ツ

#503 … for millions of raindrops descending from dim and misty skies – alone but together – through leaves on trees twisting and turning, to rooftops, spilling over gutters, down to ground, and splashing on their final destination.

#504 … that it’s not really their final destination. They do their work, then cycle right back around to sky, and drop somewhere else, maybe 4 inches to the left, 10,000 miles to the east, or so far north or south they’ll flutter down as white crystals to be captured for a thousand years.

#505 … that rain makes all of nature pause before it, or alter course, or plans, and genuflect before its Creator, who set it all in motion.

#506 … that You designed something so simple and seemingly weak to form rivers, split rocks, and create canyons on the face of the earth so big that you can’t see across – and so deep that the bottom lies concealed.

#507 … that what looks like a clear drop of water is built of  molecules always in motion – bending, twirling, vibrating constantly – all invisible to me – to us. Each molecule dances its own dance, but they all stay together, and swim in unison – in harmony.

And I stop make a pot of predawn tea – and witness an everyday miracle…thankful…

#508 ... that as the temperature rises, the molecules absorb the energy, and move – disturbed but together. And as heat continues their speed increases, and their bonds fluctuate, and stretch – but never break.

#509 … that the hydrogen atom clinging so fiercely to its two oxygen atoms is the basis of so much. Without it there is no life.

#510 … that as heat continues, bonds are bent, like a willow, like faith under fire, but they do not break. They yield, they waver, they churn. But they. Do. Not. Break.

#511 … that I notice as the cauldron of heat causes some molecules to be expelled from the rest…

we call it steam – no matter – a rose by any other name…

it reminds me that heat, and friction, separate molecules from one another, or saints even, but nothing can separate us… (ROM 8:38,39)

#512 … that the dance of water is praise to the God of its creation.

#513 … that You, Lord, when the Pharisees ordered You to command the crowd to stop praising You – You replied that even the rocks would cry out praise (LK 19:40). Did you maybe speak of chemistry and physics?

#514 … that I wouldn’t be at all surprised, because You are always clever as a serpent, and gentle as a dove.

Kelly August 22, 2011 at 8:48 am

yes, tiny rain drops forming mighty rivers- that He would use insignificant me- to be hands and feet of almighty God- bringing His kingdom to earth. humbling. exciting. Thanks for your list this week!

Craig August 22, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Kelly, as I was writing this – all I could think of were the similarities between the most basic elements – and us. You put it so well, “hands and feet of almighty God- bringing His kingdom to earth. humbling. exciting” – beautiful – thank you – and God bless and keep you.

Carrie August 22, 2011 at 8:53 am

Craig, I love #504 – how you wrote it and how it made me visualize the water cycle. In fact, I loved your entire list and how you themed it to water. I appreciate your list and how it allowed me to reflect….the beauty, wonder and sheer force of water. How awesome is our God!

Craig August 22, 2011 at 4:23 pm

I was almost afraid to go there – you know – the thing we all learned in grade school – the water cycle. It turned out okay a little. Without water nothing lives – and this blue planet is all water with just enough land poking through. God is awesome! Thank you Kerry, thank you, and God bless and keep you.

Shine August 22, 2011 at 9:11 am

BEAUTIFUL!!! I love how you took a simple usually unnoticed topic, rain, and turned it into this awesome form of worship to the Lord! I will tuck away this form of writing for when I need to dig deeper into seeing Him in what we see as the simple things.

Craig August 22, 2011 at 4:28 pm

thank you Shine, it started out by just watching the rain out the window – and a little chat with God – and it kind of grew into this. Thank you for your kind words. Besides God – Ann is the one who really made this possible – she’s the one who got me thinking – for the first time – about a year ago – before the book – about thanking God like this. Anyway, thank you again Shine – and I heart your family portrait – I love that walking away shot – and your girls with the pink dresses and blue jeans – perfect. God bless and keep you.

Tereasa August 22, 2011 at 9:24 am

I love 506! Something so simple doing something so amazing!

Craig August 22, 2011 at 4:30 pm

thank you Teeasa – that one reminded me of how “God’s holy wisdom is foolishness to men” – and how he uses the simple to slay the proud – it’s just water – it’s only water – so simple – so basic – so necessary. Thank you again Tereasa – and God bless and keep you.

shannon August 22, 2011 at 9:34 am

love it love it love it! :)

Craig August 22, 2011 at 4:31 pm

thank you Shannon, and thank you, and thank you. ツAnd God bless and keep you.

Kara August 22, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Craig,

As always, your praise of Him inspires me. What a wonderful mind He has gifted you with, entrusted to you. I especially love the bit about the friction and the saints…and the truth that we really can’t be separated…. we really can’t be broken… even when it feels like we are.

Thanks for the really good reminders,
Kara

Craig August 22, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Kara, thank you – that really means a lot to me – it really does. And your words – they’re kind – truly gracious. It’s funny what heat and friction do to saints individually – and together – and I heart – I really heart – that nothing can take us out of HIS hands. Thank you – lots ツ and God bless and keep you.

Andrea Dawn August 22, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Craig, your sopping wet post is saturated with praise, each line spilling over into the next . . . it’s raining here where I am for the first time in weeks and I am loving it. I love the way you focus on a single thing and examine it from every angle, extracting every detail of its value and worth. So very refreshing!

Craig August 22, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Andrea Dawn – and so you take my sopping wet post – and add a water a postscript to it.

((( heart)))

Did you know that I almost named my two blogs – I heart Love – and I heart Scripture – because I heart “heart” as a verb so much – and my sister told me it wasn’t professional enough – so I named them Deep Into Love – and Deep into Scripture – and she mocked me (in that loving sister kind of way) – “Well that’s you! If you’re anything your deep.” I heart looking closer. and I heart that you don’t seem to mind much ツ God bless you Andrea Dawn.

Glenna R August 22, 2011 at 1:21 pm

First I love how you give thanks to GOD !!! the rain how it dances to refresh the earth !!!
also thanks for stopping by my blog

Craig August 22, 2011 at 4:47 pm

thank you Glenna, thank you – and the rain – it does dance, and refresh the earth – just as you said. And I heart your blog! God bless and keep you Glenna.

donna rae August 22, 2011 at 1:49 pm

All wet… with the Living Water that flows freely! What an amazing list of gratitude to our Lord. I’m especially loving #511. I think the next time it rains I will run out and play in the raindrops, enter into the miracle of every tiny detail in the cycle!

Craig August 22, 2011 at 4:52 pm

#511 – heat and friction does things to us Christians – individually or together – and I had forgotten the simple fact that water can never be broken – just transformed – the major metaphor that water is for Christians – it’s kind of stunning – I could hang on the metaphor for a month. Thankfully I’ll let it go with this post (((Smiles))) and be careful about running out and playing in the rain – when I was a kid I did it – and the neighbor almost call the police – but instead called my mom and asked if I was on drugs – that was an interesting moment. God bless you Donna Rae,

Deborah August 22, 2011 at 2:13 pm

What an amazing gratitude list on rain and water. Thanks for reminding me of God’s magnificent creation that only he could of made.

Blessings to your family and cat.
Deborah

Craig August 22, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Deborah – I thank you – and Laska the love Kitty thanks you ^.^ – and blessings to you too! ツ

Andrea Dawn August 22, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Craig, I thought you might enjoy this if you have the time. I randomly clicked on one of the links at Ann’s site for Multitudes on Mondays. Sounds familiar . . . a rainy day post as well. http://www.natureofwords.com/2011/08/summer-rain-mondays-with-gratitude19/

Craig August 22, 2011 at 4:57 pm

yes, yes it does sound familiar ツ different – because were all different – and God speaks to us even about the same thing, on the same day – but in different ways. Thank you Andrea Dawn. ツ

Martha Orlando August 22, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Simply beautiful! Every phrase of gratitude created a new, fresh image of rain and water for me. You remind me, too, that no matter how many times we give thanks to God, we can never thank Him enough for all He has done for us!

Blessings, Craig!

Craig August 22, 2011 at 5:00 pm

thank you Martha, the way this post all flowed from just looking at the rain – and a talk with God – I heart how he does that. He gets all the credit ツand you are so right – we can never thank him enough – I think He knows that – and he’s okay with it ツblessings to you to Martha!

Dawn August 22, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Ah, My Dear Craig,

This is so very, very excellent and it

reminds me so much of Danelle’s elucidation of Salt

and

Ann Voskamp’s treatise on water

I will read these 3 over and over.

God blesses you in the grayness of the morning!
Dawn

Craig August 23, 2011 at 3:03 pm

sorry I’m late responding Dawn – but you got caught in my spam catcher – that’s not a good thing for you – but it’s a good thing for the 4000 spam comments that I have received in just the last few days. Busy little spammers. But I found you and saved you from the pile ツ

you were trapped in the spam catcher because you had two links in your comment – I might change that as a setting so it doesn’t happen again. Sorry about that.

Danelle’s words were good – and Ann’s words – well it goes without saying. Thank you for digging that one up for me. God bless you my friend.

Christina August 23, 2011 at 5:12 am

What a wonderful description of the works of our Creator. I’ll have to share it with the boys during science:) Great list as always!

Craig August 23, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Christina, one of the lines I actually edited out of this posts was a suggestion for homeschooling moms to grab and use the post. I didn’t want to seem pushy or full of myself. So I’m smiling that you wrote this ツ God bless you and all of your teaching.

Melissa August 23, 2011 at 10:50 am

Like your list, I’m all wet, drenched in the pouring of praise and the giving of grace and the shining brilliance and majesty of our God. Your words drip brilliance too, can only come from the place of “alone but together” with Him. Thanks for raining on me today. I have been asking for it. :) May your fields get a good soaking too. Bless you, Craig.

Craig August 23, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Melissa, I really, really heart when I see your name in my comments section. Just sayin ツ anyway… Thank you – really – thank you. As I said to some of the other friends who commented – it started with just a rainstorm and to chat with God. So he gets all – ALL of the credit. God bless you Melissa!

A. August 23, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Craig, my favorite part of your post was duel-your use of rain as a focus and how you did it…and that adorable photo of the soggy little fluff bird!!!! I heart that photo!!!!!!!! And…I think your sister had good advice about Deep vs. heart for the title, and I love/heart your use of the word heart. :)

Craig August 23, 2011 at 2:44 pm

thank you A. And by the way, that “soggy little fluff bird” – it’s a hawk – it’s a predator – it’s the kind of bird that might someday swoop down from the sky and try to kidnap the love Kitty – still it’s kind of a cute picture – but it’s like the rearview mirror – the object is much bigger than it appears ツ

Debbie August 24, 2011 at 1:09 am

This was such a praise song . . .a water psalm . . .a poem waterfall! Thank you! It rained here today, the first time in a long time. I noticed that the tree branches hung lower, almost to the ground, heavy with wet. They bowed in thanks! God bless you as you help us bow before Him in gratitude too!

Craig August 24, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Debbie – I’ve had a lot of comments to reply to lately – and I know I’ve skipped a few of yours – just know that I’ve read them all – thank you for this one to – and thank you for always being there – thank you my friend! God Bless you!