In which is the Gospel of Jesus…in a bar…yeah…a bar (pt2)

by Craig on July 2, 2012

ans so I shared the gospel of Jesus in a bar...yeah...a barsource

To say what I did, where I did, I’m lucky I’m still standing. To debate God in a bar, with six raunchy, rowdy, drinking men I’d didn’t know – it’s a risky proposition.

Part one of sharing the gospel of Jesus…in a bar…is here.

You kinda need to begin at the beginning to really catch on I think.

Anyway, on to part 2.

It reads like a script. It’ll bring you out of our little Christian comfort zone. It’s pretty raw, but it’s exactly how the talk unfolded.

Me: You guys, sex may be great, but it’s so much less than we could have had.

Sean: God was the one who made the clothes for them to wear in the garden Chris.

This was surprising. He’d been quiet so far – and was now refuting the alpha male. He didn’t get the facts exactly straight – but his response is interesting. Still, the group would move along…

Tim: So is God just a perv like us? (aimed at Chris, the alpha)

(laughs)

Tyler: God is the original perv!

(more laughs) Then one of the guys pulls me back into the conversation.

Mark: So you, what’s your name?

Me: Craig. (chewing on my cheesburger) Good to meet you.

and so I shared the Gospel of Jesus in a bar...yup...a barsource

(handshaking all around)

Mark: But this way better than sex? That’s crazy talk.

Me: Maybe. (with a smile) But really, sex is just sex – just chemicals and hormones and brain impulses. If there is a God – he can do much better than that.

Tim: Rarely answers my pervy prayers…God (an aside, almost to himself)

Chris: Craig? Does that make God incompetent or ignorant?

Me: It makes God perfect, Chris. It makes all else…less than perfect.

Mark: Craig, maybe you’re not doing sex right? (I nodded an acknowledgement – it’s good to acknowledge people – give them some respect – no?)

Chris: Craig, all this because Adam ate a @#$%& apple?

Me: It was the knowledge of good and evil, Chris – far more than a piece of fruit.

Chris: Craig, yet supposedly God made this world? He made a penis and a vagina?

Steve: Those are just to multiply, Chris.

Wow! I thought. Help from the peanut gallery. Interesting.

Me: The big thing is that we could have learned Good and Evil a different way, a better way. But it is what it is. We play the cards we have.

Something inside told me to stay really calm during all of this. Things would get antagonistic, and baudy. But I’d stay surprisingly mellow. And some of these guys would continue to throw in support.

Tim: @#$&! (said to Chris) Only God could have had the genius to combine need to procreate with most awesome pleasure we can experience.

Imagine that, I thought.

Chris: So at some point he was like, “Ok, I’m gonna make a penis and a vagina, what is it going to look like?

(laughs)

And I’m not sure at this point if I would have continued the conversation, but…

Chris: Hey Craig?

They kept drawing me back in.

Chris: So everything is our fault?

Really?? That question!

Seems like a good point to pick up next time. No?

Please come back.

Cynthia Swenson July 2, 2012 at 2:51 pm

I’m gonna be honest & suggest you filter these conversations. This isn’t good to read. I’d suggest you go McDonald’s for the cheeseburgers & try going to church instead of a bar. Lot’s of people at church need to hear about Him too! I’m praying for you! Love & prayers, in Jesus, Cynthia

Craig July 4, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Cynthia, first of all I want to thank you for being honest with me. We tiptoe around each other too often – and sometimes when a brother or sister is facing the wrong direction, another Christian brother or sister should rope them back in with love. I think it’s our responsibility to each other. So thank you. I do have to let you know that I don’t hang out in bars. This particular day an important baseball game was on, I don’t have a television, and so I went to the sports bar down the street to watch the game on TV. I wasn’t there for the burger – I was there for the game – and then this situation found me. I do need the prayers – Lord knows I need prayer – so thank you for that, and thank you for caring, and thank you for reading, just thank you – and God bless and keep you.

Katie July 2, 2012 at 6:28 pm

I love how God meets people where they are at, even though the men meant it suggestively and extremely rude, this conversation is God meeting them where they were at. I don’t know that God would condemn them for using language that they were use to using. Jesus went where the lowest, and most horrible men were. He ate with tax collectors and sinners.

I do think God did think about creation and how he made man and women to procreate and to give us pleasure. I do think sex between a man and woman — married — is a beautiful and great thing that gives us pleasure and I do think it can be an act of worship.

I like “So everything is our fault?” — You can tell the conversation has them thinking. God meeting them where they are at.

Craig July 4, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Katie, there is something about sex that brings about intimacy. It brings about intimacy in a way nothing else can. So, sex between a husband and bride – it’s obviously an absolutely God honoring thing – and I don’t think it’s the way it is by chance. Still, you know how Jesus speaks of no marriage in heaven after the resurrection? (MK 12:15). The first time I read that. It made me kind of sad – but then I think, as I explained to these guys, God has something designed better than sex – and somehow something designed better even than marriage – somehow something designed so much better than this life that we just haven’t got a clue. Everything bad gone – everything good better – heaven in a nutshell. Thank you Katie, God bless you!

nancy July 3, 2012 at 7:07 am

Craig, i think God had you in that place for such a time as this. can’t wait to hear the rest. God bless you this day.

Craig July 4, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Nancy, this whole conversation – this whole thing – an extremely low chance of ever occurring again. This year named “see” – a time of spiritual darkness, a time of hailstorms taking too much. this month of delusions and hallucinations and such – in many ways it has me a little wary of naming next year. God bless you this day as well. Nancy!

nancy July 5, 2012 at 12:09 pm

not name next year? i think the enemy would like that very much, it would be kind of like . . . giving up? no, Craig, you have too much courage to do that. please hurry back.

A. July 3, 2012 at 8:39 am

Craig, this is very helpful. Lots of times or most of the time in churches, we don’t get to see and hear how to walk and talk in these types of circumstances. And these types of circumstances are very real and are very abundant. It is true that churches are full of people that need to hear truth.. It is also true that bars and other places are also full of such people. Who will go to them? I am glad you did. I am glad you were there. I would be doubly and triply glad if I were the parent of one of those guys. I would be glad that light found its way into their dark place.

So often, churches simply teach us how to talk ‘stuffy’ talk in real life. And stuffy talk kills. It makes people run the other direction fast. I don’t sense ‘stuffy talk’ here in your story. That is heartable and a huge relief.

It reminds me of the story of the man who felt called to witness in strip bars. One day, he was used in the return of the daughter of a church man to life in Christ. She was a dancer there, and this man, with his witness of Christ, helped her out of her darkness. He went there specifically for that purpose-to witness to the lost, and he cautioned that not everyone can do it. Her father, when he learned of what had taken place, was immensely grateful.

We each have different callings, don’t we?

Layla Payton July 3, 2012 at 7:54 pm

AMEN!

Martha Orlando July 3, 2012 at 1:41 pm

And, the saga continues . . . You are giving me such insight into how to communicate God’s love and perfection to non-believers. I’m really looking forward to the rest of this story.
Blessings, Craig!

Layla Payton July 3, 2012 at 7:45 pm

PLEASE don’t filter the conversation. How are we going to reach out to the world if we are AFRAID of what the world will say??? I love that you chose to interact with these guys. You kept your cool and answered so wisely. There’s enough glossy, cutesy, rated “G” Christiany blogs out there…you’ve gotta get out of your comfort zone to reach the lost. (See Bible for examples of “off color” topics.) You took out the cuss words…that’s filtering enough. Keep it real, Craig…this is the kind of stuff that can be applied to real, every day life.

Layla Payton July 3, 2012 at 7:54 pm

…also, I know that Jesus would’ve pulled up a seat and had a conversation with these guys. You won’t find Jesus sitting in a comfy pew…

…He was/is with REAL people.

He’s meeting us right in the middle of our disgustings messes. Because we are His hands and feet, we shouldn’t be afraid to pull up a chair, join in conversations, get our hands and feet “dirty”, and trust that beauty will come from ashes.

Debbie July 3, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Well, here’s my immediate thought as I read . . .I’m so amazed and wowed. How perfect of God to have YOU there with them. You know stuff, important stuff. You study His word and think a lot. A LOT. I can’t think of anyone better to be there who could handle questions like these.
God bless you and all the ways He works through you.

A. July 6, 2012 at 11:04 am

And, heart that fuzzy-brained kitty pic! that makes me smile, again, as I reread here. 😉
Serious backwards petting to Laska, just thinking about kitties.