In which there’s sharing the Gospel of Christ in a bar. yes. a bar. (pt9)

by Craig on July 31, 2012

From nowhere, the quietest one of the group, Tim, says…

“Belief is only a yearning for the truth.”

He says it loud enough to hear, but soft enough to show he isn’t certain about sharing what’s on his mind.

This is part 8 of the series…

the “Sharing the Gospel of Jesus in a sports bar” series began here.

but be advised — the beginning of the conversation is a little racy.

Anyway, after Tim’s words, I think two things immediately…

1: that is a brilliant theological statement!
2: he needs a little support before the naysayers shoot him down.

“He’s right you guys.” I begin, “In the end – it does all come down to belief. Even not believing is believing….in nothing maybe….but still believing.”

Like the swift and loud response to a pin prick Chris interjects, “Rejecting a belief is not believing, and if you want to categorize believing that way – then every decision is a belief.”

Wait. What??!!

The eyes of half the group open wide and eyebrows raise. It’s as if they all know immediately that this was an argument for faith. They expected, by now, to hear it from me, but not the head atheist of the group.

I almost didn’t need to answer, but to the half that didn’t get it, I say,
“Yeah. Exactly right Chris, every decision we make. is. believing.”

I then ask everyone if I may read something written by Paul of Tarsus, from the 1st century. I intentionally did not say it was from the Bible. I hope that was an honorable kind of sneaky. ツ

Twelve scoot closer. Arianne stays behind looking as though she needs popcorn. ツ

I turn my computer toward me and look up Romans.
I tell them all that it was a letter to the Christian churches in Rome,
and in context he was writing about those who chose not to believe.

And I read,
out loud,
not too softly,
in a bar…

Romans 1:19-22.

For what can be known about God is evident to them,
because God made it evident to them.

Ever since the creation of the world,
his invisible attributes of eternal power and divinity
have been able to be understood and perceived in what he has made.

As a result, they [those choosing not to believe]
have no excuse; for although they knew God
they did not accord him glory as God, or give him thanks.

Instead, they became vain in their reasoning,
and their senseless minds were darkened.

While claiming

to be wise,

they

became

fools.

There is then nothing but silence, eyes darting left and right in thought, biting pensive lips, tilting heads, slow nodding. And me…a calm exterior but a stirred heart.

And there’s more of sharing the Gospel of Jesus in a Sport’s Bar.

Please come back.

nancy August 1, 2012 at 12:36 pm

wow, wish i could have been there. so looking forward to the next post on this. the pictures are so good here, and your words — how in the world do you remember what you said/he said? thanks so much for writing, and especially thank you for reading in that bar. wow

Craig August 2, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Nancy, maybe it’s just that my brain isn’t all the way back yet – but I get the feeling I’ve answered this before. If I’m missing something, tell me – maybe it was by e-mail. Anyway – I recorded the whole thing on my computer – it was handy to have around – so I’m not remembering anything – what is here is exactly what happened. And reading Scripture in a bar to 13 people, all leaning in to hear every word – it really is kind of a remarkable thing when you think about it. God bless you, Nancy, and thank you.

nancy August 3, 2012 at 9:01 pm

no Craig, i’m sure its me missing something, like not remembering. definitely not suggesting anything here. sorry if i gave you that impression. God bless you.

Martha Orlando August 1, 2012 at 2:06 pm

It’s getting more and more exciting with every installment, Craig! Loved the photos today, too, especially the one of the cat. >^..^< And, what a perfect scripture to read to this group. Can't wait to hear how they all reacted.
Blessings to you!

Craig August 2, 2012 at 8:26 pm

funny cat pictures, Martha – you can never go wrong with them (ˆ◡ˆ). I think the Scripture had its effect/ Sometimes – at least I know I put too much emphasis on MY words – instead of the words of our Scripture. You could tell for the rest of the conversation, the ones who were close to the kingdom – and how it affected them – and also how it riled up those who were further away. I don’t plan on doing this all the time – it’s a byproduct of these last eight weeks. But I’m glad it happened – and it’s had some interesting results. So thank you Martha, and God bless you my friend.

Katie August 2, 2012 at 9:13 pm

I went back a few posts to catch up…….. wow, this conversation is powerful. No matter the outcome seeds are planted and God will watch over the seeds no matter what kind of ground they land on. (Thinking of the parable of the sower).

Had some God conversation this afternoon with a friend whose heart is hurting. The best I could do was listen and share my own story. We have a lot in common, in her story and mine. The only difference is how we acted out of the sin done to us, in our own sin. She is struggling. She is angry at God and herself. Tried to walk into the pain to be present with her. I see how beautiful she is and how beautiful her heart is. I truly believe I was seeing her through God’s eyes. I just wish she saw that herself.

Craig August 4, 2012 at 6:02 pm

you did what a good friend would do – a good, godly friend. And I wish I could see myself the way our Lord sees me – I can’t – so to I don’t blame your friend for not being able to. In case no one else thanks you – I thank you f.. for being with her like this. And this conversation in a bar, it is one I will always remember. And yes, the parable of the seed! Thank you Katie, as always, and as always, God bless and keep you my friend.

Martha Orlando August 2, 2012 at 9:14 pm

May God bless you, Craig! The story will unfold, and the truth will be told …

Craig August 4, 2012 at 5:22 pm

and the story will have to go on hold a little – my computer crashed – and with it the recording – so we’ll hope they can retrieve all my stuff and fix my poor baby. I’m on the backup laptop right now. and it is still a step at a time – this recovery – the doctors tell me it’s a little like an addiction – the constant desire and calling back wereI get from the “there and nowhere”. Still fighting – still glad to have you here – thank you very much, my friend – and God bless and keep you as always.

Martha Orlando August 5, 2012 at 5:51 am

So sorry to hear that your computer crashed! I hope, too, that everything can be retrieved and you can be up and running again.
So glad I can be here for you, my dear friend. Hang in there and keep up the good fight.
Blessings!

Craig August 5, 2012 at 7:02 am

I’ll have a bright shiny new post – on a different topic – up and running in about an hour. Banging it out on my old warn out puter as we speak. :) God bless, Martha !!!

A. August 3, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Craig, I am absolutely on the edge of my seat! You were navigating that conversation with the skill of a master! So, so good!!!!!

Craig August 4, 2012 at 5:46 pm

since those seven days A, this brain of mine has been piecing things back together. I don’t give my brain much credit at all for what happened here – it’s all God – anything good I did here is because of him – not because of me, my gifts, my knowledge, all those have been a little compromised lately – what’s left is him. The conversation was steered well – but not by me. I think. God bless you and keep you my friend.