In which are the LAST of the BEST quotes from the Didache

by Craig on September 17, 2012

The Didache was the owner's manual for the 1st century church...

The Didache isn’t considered “inspired” Scripture.
But it is maybe the most ancient Christian document.
It’s what the early Church was thinking, and teaching, and practicing.

And that early church was magnificent…
brave, and fresh, and close to the Source.

I want to be brave…and fresh…and close to the Source.

The series on the Didache, the early church owner’s manual, began here.
And it’s part of a larger series on the Apostolic Fathers, which began here.

And now, the last of the best quotes from The Didache.

♥✞ღ Do not fear those that can kill you, but can do nothing more;
but fear Him who, after you are dead, has power over both soul and body.

♥✞ღ This world and the next are two enemies.
The one urges infidelity and corruption, avarice and deceit;
the other bids farewell to these things.
We cannot, therefore, be the friends of both.

♥✞ღ For if we do the will of Christ, we shall find rest…but who shall be our advocate, unless we have works of holiness and righteousness?

♥✞ღ Let us run the straight course, in that eternal race…and strive that we may be crowned.
And should we not all be able to obtain the crown, let us at least come near to it.

(The quest for perfection and Grace for the quest)

♥✞ღ While we are in this world, repent with our whole heart of the evil things we have done in the flesh, that we may be saved by the Lord, while we still have an opportunity of repentance. For after we have gone out of the world, no further power of confessing or repenting will belong to us.

♥✞ღ He knows all things beforehand, and is well aware of what is in our hearts.
Let us therefore give Him praise, not with lips only, but also with the heart.

♥✞ღ He is faithful, who promised, to bestow on every one a reward according to his works.

♥✞ღ As your body is visible, so also let your soul be made visible by good actions.

♥✞ღ I myself, though every bit sinner, and not yet fleeing temptation, but continuing in the midst of the tools of the devil, study to follow after righteousness.

♥✞ღ If God rewarded the righteous immediately,
we would be seeking profit and not godliness.

The Didache - as a wordle

Just because I heart Wordles - and it kind of sums things up too ¯\(ˆ◡ˆ)/¯ (click on it and it get's bigger - and you'll kinda get lost in it for a bit)

♥✞ღ To the only God, invisible, Father of truth,
who sent forth to us the Savior and Author of immortality,
through whom He also manifested to us the truth and the heavenly life,
to Him be glory for ever and ever.
Amen.

Sylvia R September 17, 2012 at 9:45 am

Boy, I like these, too! Hard-hitting, and not the kind of thing we hear often in our time. The second “grabs” me the most right now, as I am evaluating what things are “world” that seem so innocent, yet urge very subtly in the “world” ways mentioned.
Thanks for sharing these, Craig.

Craig September 17, 2012 at 6:09 pm

I love this most because this reflects what the early church was being taught – and thus, how they were living. The people in the early church were awfully serious about their faith – there were no “Sunday” Christians back then. So this is how they lived. No cheap grace – and living the law of love. And like you say – a lot more hard-hitting than we hear nowadays. Anyway, thank you Sylvia, think you for reading, thank you for bearing with me through this mixed up brain time of mine, just thank you, and God bless!

Martha Orlando September 17, 2012 at 10:20 am

Praising Him not just with our lips, but from our hearts . . . and giving thanks to Him in all times and places. These are amazing! What is even more amazing is that 2,000 years later, we can know what those first Christians were striving for.
Thanks, Craig, for sharing this wisdom.
Blessings always!

Craig September 17, 2012 at 6:12 pm

everything you said Martha, I feel the same way. And now they’ll be a change of pace here, as a getaway from the early church fathers to the most emotional thing that I have gone through in this time of blogging. I’m not sure if you were reading me last year at this time – but it’s time for my Sara posts. Get the tissues ready. God bless you my friend.

A. September 17, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Craig, this is a very inspiring list of quotes! I love these! If, from the first quote through the last, including the pics, this were a poster; I would love to have it hanging on my wall!!!!

A. September 17, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Seriously!

Craig September 17, 2012 at 6:13 pm

me too – especially the picture in the middle – that’s Joan of Arc – I heart Joan of Arc. God bless you A!

A. September 18, 2012 at 11:31 pm

Joan of Arc was my favorite, too. I heart her because of what you have shared about her in the past!

Martha Orlando September 17, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Advice taken . . . tissues will be on hand, dear friend!