In which is harvest of futility and seed of a woman

by Craig on January 13, 2015

Adam and Eve

one simple decision
failure of all failures

(Genesis 3:6,7)

The woman saw

that the tree
was good for food
and pleasing to the eyes,
and the tree was desirable

for gaining wisdom.

it may have seemed such a logical argument
logic often being the garden. variety. disguise.

of justification

So she took some of its fruit and ate it;
and she also gave some to her husband,

who was with her,
and he ate it. Then

the eyes of both of them

were opened

and they saw…

leaves to thorns
velvet to granite
crystal to cloud

where life once sprang from every available space
where every hint of potential became grand possibility
and every grand possibility became flourishing reality

now every path
formerly beautiful
became harrowing

The Fall... every path, formerly beautiful, became harrowing, and heartrending and haunting and hopeless. Ever seen that?

and heartrending
and haunting
and harsh

loss of life was everywhere
where life was meant to be

permanent

every plant growing – then dying
taking animal’s lives to keep themselves alive
the firstborn son given life, then taking life from the second

we think of the Fall
but only of our consequences
never really considering how they felt

irreparable
irrecoverable
irredeemable

discouraged
disconsolate
disheartened

Ever feel that way?

Ever reaped a harvest of futility from the seed of failure?

Ever need a glimmer of promise from the seed of a woman?

btw a little art credit for…
the Chinese words
the dark path

Martha Orlando January 14, 2015 at 1:24 pm

Oh, the consequences which befall us when we think we need anything more than we need God . . .
A thoughtful and gracefully composed reflection, Craig. Thank you!
Blessings!

Craig January 15, 2015 at 1:15 pm

translation for “gracefully composed”… Spending about five hours on each individual word ツ I think the really good writers just do it on the first or second draft. For the rest of us it takes five hours per word ツ I’ve just been thinking a lot lately about looking at failure with better eyes. We have to see the way God sees don’t we> All other vision is limited and inaccurate at best. No? Thank you Martha, and God bless and keep you.

Sylvia R January 14, 2015 at 3:56 pm

Wow.
So good.
And so good to see you here!

Craig January 15, 2015 at 1:18 pm

Sylvia, not “all the way” back. But I keep renewing these blogs and the domain names, so I must want to keep them for some reason. Part of that reason is people like you. Thank you very much. It is always been so hard for me to really accepts the kind words that people like you tell me. A work in progress, stuttering, halting, but progressing? Anyway thank you. And God bless and keep you and yours.

Michelle January 14, 2015 at 7:55 pm

Very thought-provoking, Craig. and beautifully written. I guess I’m going to be pondering this for a while……..

Craig January 20, 2015 at 4:27 pm

I hope your pondering has gone well Michelle. It’s a good word “ponder”. Been thinking a lot about it since Christmas, and studying the Magnificat, and Mary, one of my favorite “Mary” quotables is, “and she pondered it in her heart”. So I hope you’re pondering was fum.

Thank you. Thank you.

God bless and keep you and yours.

willow January 15, 2015 at 6:22 pm

Again, Craig, your words stop me in my tracks and cause me to reflect seriously. Reminds me of a message I heard many years ago based on James 1:13-15. The speaker kept raising a question that has haunted me ever since, “When, oh when, is sin finished?”

Keep writing, Craig. Our hearts need to hear from you.

Craig January 20, 2015 at 4:43 pm

email coming soon, major WTP doubts, I need a grandmother’s advice and honest opinion.

The older I get, the more familiar I am with the consequences of sin and how intertwining and deep they go. At the advice of a friend I have some orchids now (I had NO plants in the apartment), and they are so delicate, require so much TLC/ Anyway, they come in these clear containers, so you can see the roots, because you’re supposed to inspect orchid roots when you get them and keep an eye on them (silly flowers – sooooo complicated) – plus they have these things called aerial roots which stick up out of the pot, and which at the beginning were scary, but I guess the point I’m trying to make is this – about your “when is sin finished” thought. I guess the answer is that it’s only finished when all of the roots are all dried up and dead. I’ve been rescuing these orchids from a florist who is throwing them out, nursing them back to health. All the research I’ve read says that as long as there is some life left in the roots, the orchid has a chance. So I think the answer for the finishing of sin – is finishing the roots. No more. I’m metaphor exhausted. This was just supposed to be a simple reply. too…much…thinking…brain…broken… Thanks a lot. ツ Maranantha – come Lord come. God bless you Grandma Joyce.

Debbie January 17, 2015 at 10:17 pm

God bless you, Craig, for this very special look at that moment of failure. Thank you for writing whenever you can. We can always count on it being what we need to hear.

Craig January 20, 2015 at 4:47 pm

Deb, I’ve actually been writing a lot lately, just not blogging so much. Been very inspired. The main reason I blog anything at all is because of my handful of bloggy friends. If I think about that too long there will be tears. Thank you, my original bloggy friend.

nancy January 21, 2015 at 12:13 pm

Hi Craig. reading you today after flailing around in the pit, not the bottom, just below the surface maybe. a breath of fresh air, a new way of looking, seeing, thinking, and hope. that’s what i read here today. thank you.

Craig January 24, 2015 at 11:39 am

“just below the surface” ツ it’s probably not a good thing to say, but that made me smile, it was clever. Someone once told me that I was good with words “and what’s in their backpacks”. That made me smile too. Points for clever ツ I’m sorry you’re just below the surface, flailing, I just said a prayer for you. And thank you for your words. God bless and keep you and yours Nancy.

A. February 1, 2015 at 8:53 pm

How true…thinking only of our consequences, not of theirs. How often do we do that with those around us, also, who are impacted by our choices? And of future generations-whether from a family line or just from influence? This really spoke to me….ouch. Thank you for this, Craig.